Wait For Insurance to Pay on Medical Bills

Make sure to compare your medical/dental bill with your EOB (Explanation of Benefits). You may find that your insurance paid the entire bill, leaving with you a $0 amount in the section labeled "patient responsibility". If you pay the bill prior to verifying that you are responsible for the stated amount, you could end up having to wait a few weeks for the money to be refunded.

Source: Aetna Customer Service Rep.

By A Trevino from San Antonio, TX

And you might not receive a refund - especially if the hospital or physical therapy unit where you stayed sent you a bill immediately upon your exit, and you paid what the hospital estimated what you owed. Your overpayment does not automatically equal a refund!

And that's if you get refunded at all! Many times they'll hold the payment that you made so long they'll hope you've forgotten and never do refund you what is owed to you.

I had a medical emergency that should have been covered by my insurance company - but the hospital wanted the money from ME! Kept on sending them copies of authorizations, etc.

until we finally found out that the MD hadn't filed the proper paperwork. At that time $1,000 was a lot of money for me - so I wasn't about to pay - when I knew it was covered by my insurance! So if you have to wait - wait.

Anonymous

Doctors are audited perodically. Overpayments will be returned. But still it is wise to wait until the insurance is paid. I think it would be proper to explain to the doctors office that as soon as you know what the ins comp has paid you will pay them. You can even call your company and ask when they plan to pay the dr because they want the money. They might hurry it up.