Fixing Plastic Scissors Handle

I have had this little cheap pair of scissors for years, as you can see they are broken. I have bought so may pairs of scissors just like these, they are cuticle scissors. They came in a cheap nail care kit my mother found a very long time ago from some thrift shop that went out of business.

I can't find anything that compares to the function of these cheapos. I have used them for everything: paper, fabric, sewing, prying splinters out of my daughter's foot, even thin metal wire. And yet they are still as sharp and precise as day one. There has to be a way to fix this little handle. Any suggestions? Thanks.

By Marie from Ontario, Canada

I have no idea how to fix them right now. Just dropped in because I also had a cheap pair of favorite $1 like scissors break the other day! Must be the weather ;)

Marie (and Melody), I don't have a crystal clear answer yet but I am thinking on it.

You will almost definitely have to remove the rest of the broken handle. And the replacement doesn't necessarily need to have a hole for a finger or thumb. It probably should have a little bit of curve to prevent slipping during use.

One idea might be to find an old steak knife, the type that is riveted together. No, that won't work , the holes would be too far apart to attach to the scissors.

I am thinking you will need to get a whole drilled into the end of the scissors where the handle was. It would really depend on what you find as a replacement. You want to attach the new handle over as much of the scissor arm without the handle getting in the way when you close the scissors.

It would be nice if you could find something sort of in the shape of a j (without the . above it). Your fingers would get support under the curve. It wouldn't need to be very big. My suggestion would be to take the scissors with you to a Goodwill or Thrift shop and look around in the kitchen goods and in a tools section if the have one. If you see something about the right shape you can hold it close to the scissor to see if its the right size. DON'T clear off the broken handle just yet as you might find something that would attach better if that is still intact.

Off hand I can't think of anything that would be an exact fit other than a small screw driver set I used to own. It had a plastic handle with tool bit ends you pushed into the handle for whatever tool you needed. It was just part of a mini tool kit for like a kitchen or craft use.

The objective is to keep an open mind and keep the scissors close at hand so if you run across something you can get to them easily to hold up and compare to the new"handle".

Hope this has helped.

They say duct tape fixes everything. :-) Make a thin roll, enough to make a circle and wrap the end that you have left unrolled around the end of the scissor enclosing the other end of the roll. Be sure to pull it tight as you roll. This should hold for a long time, or until you come up with another idea.

My idea would be epoxy for plastic. If you still have the broken handle, I would drill a hole into both broken edges, more then one if you can fit them in, for glue to run into. If you have a metal nail file cut a piece that would fit across the break to add extra strength. Use super glue to secure the broken edges forcing some into the drilled holes and securing the metal strip in place. Then when dry apply a good amount of the epoxy for plastic smoothly over the break and metal. Make sure the epoxy is smooth so it isn't rough on your hands. Good luck.

If the manufacturer is on the metal part, you may be able to google them. You can with some, so that would be my guess. Or, you can take them with you when shopping for another pair and see how close you can get. Good luck!

I had a friend with disabilities and she had a plastic that could be formed into anything after heating and once cooled it was a very hard plastic, check around your medical supply stores and see if they have something similar, it came in sheets and she placed it in boiling water for a few seconds removed it with tongs and shaped it on her hair brush handle, toothbrush handle and other items to make them easier for her to Use , it can be reheated and reshaped.

They did have something similar in the craft stores years ago for making jewelry or what about that as seen on TV Mighty Putty

I've had really good luck using super glue/crazy glue to repair plastics. Hope this helps and that you still have the handle :-o

If you still have the handle piece that broke off there is an easy way to fix it. Others just tell you to use "super glue", but the trick is to use superglue GEL. This will fill up cracks and will stay where you put it. I have fixed several pairs of plastic handled scissors with it.

Home and Garden Repair ToolsDecember 19, 2009
A lock attached to two pairs of nice scissors.
Protecting Your Sewing Scissors
Clean Scissors
Cleaning Scissors
Cutting Fabric Straight With Scissors
Cutting Fabric Straight With Scissors
Scissor Holder
Making a Holder for Scissors
🎄
🍂