Buying Good Quality Fabric Scissors

Cutting fabric requires sharp sturdy scissors. Getting quality scissors will ensure you have smooth clean cut edges for your sewing projects. This is a guide about buying good quality fabric scissors.

Good scissors for cutting through multiple layers of thick fabric. Any suggestions?
I just dulled out two pairs and they cost between $20 and $30 each.

The more expensive one was re-sharpened and I am not impressed. A friend told me that the quality of the re-sharpening has more to do with the steel content than the skill of the operator.

Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers

Best Answer

I don't know what brand you are using but I am a Fiskars person. I won't have any other in my house. I still have some from several years ago which I used to trim my dogs haunches . They are now in DH's tool shed and still cutting everything but fabric. I have never had a pair of Fiskars sharpened and I cut thick fabric and several layers of denim.. the usual sewing gramma stuff. I'm completely sold. I even bought school kid fiskars for my granddaughter. I was subbing in a pre k class where all the scissors in the art center were in a basket. I taught one little girl to look for Fiskars. a few minutes later I saw her over there looking in the basket and muttering "Where are those whiskers?"

By Anna Brown (Guest Post)

I make double layered "tie blankets" and I bought a 'cutting wheel" and "cutting Mat" I wouldn't go back to just scissors at all. Only use them when I have to, :-). However I did find cheap but good scissors at Big Lots that would cut through two layers and was just as happy with them as the $14.00 stainless steel that I bought.

I swear by my Ginghers. I've had them for about twenty years now, and they're still going strong.

They cost a bit more, but they truly will last a lifetime.

By BQ (Guest Post)

1. Are other people using your scissors? You must hide them from children and husbands. I'm a lefty, my scissors are expensive, and at one time I was stashing them in my jewelry box to keep them safe.
2. Buy the best scissors you can. Gingher and
Fiskars are best. My Fiskars shears have never been sharpened, and they are old enough to vote.
3. Hold the scissors exactly perpendicular to the fabric and cut smoothly. Holding scissors at an angle, or going whack, whack, whack, will give you raggedy edges, and you will blame the scissors for being dull.