Hand Mixer Tips

When using your hand mixer, put the mixing bowl in the sink. It prevents splattering of the counter and backsplash. Don't use your mixer to whip mashed potatoes. It causes the potato to become pasty. Mash potatoes by hand for best results.

By Carol from Wyoming, PA

I used to have to make two kinds of potatoes for my parents: one with the mixer=creamy paste, the other by hand=lumps. Same for potato salad. I was like a puppet on a string! (MY secret for good Southern flavored whipped/mashed potatoes, was simply, little milk/two tablespoons of butter, salt and LOTS of pepper!) This way the flavor of the potatoes can be tasted! God bless you. : )

Good tip! Though I have to say I always use the mixer to make mashed potatoes and they come out great. The trick is to not overcook the potatoes and not mix till they come out like glue.

Sorry, but I ALWAYS use my hand mixer to mash my potatoes and my grandsons can't eat enough of them. Here is a tip I received from my mother - heat the milk and butter in the microwave - leave in just a bit of the water you cooked the potatoes in - pour milk/butter mixture into the potoatoes and beat until fluffy. Works everytime!

My hand mixer was handed down from my mother-in-law,so was very old. It just gave out on me a few days ago. I couldn't live without it,so I've already replaced it!!! I too mash my potatoes with it and have no problem. I do warm my milk before adding it to them.---I like your idea of placing my pan/bowl in the sink while beating. I am going to try that. Judy in Alabama

I have to agree with Ruth. I will start my mashed potatoes by using a hand masher but once I get many of the lumps out I will finish them by "whipping" with my electric mixer. I also sometimes add some low fat sour cream and chives.

Electric Hand Mixer
Electric Hand Mixer Tips
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsJuly 27, 2007
Mixing Concrete at Home
Mixing Your Own Concrete
Electric Mixer
Electric Mixer Tips