AdviceDogs

Dog Possessive With Chew Toy

I like to give my 4 year old male Dachshund a bone to chew because I think it helps to clean the tartar from his teeth. The only time he chews on it is right before bedtime. When he has his bone, he will growl and bite anyone that comes near him. This is the only time he has ever bitten. I'm thinking maybe it's because it's later in the evening and he's tired.

Have you had this problem with your dog and how did you solve the problem, other than not giving him any more bones? Last night in order to get the bone, I knocked on the back door, went out and he followed me. I quickly closed the door before he had time to get in, then I got the bone and threw it in the trash. He went all over the house looking for it. If he has one of his toys or his tennis ball whenever I say "drop it", he does drop it. It's just that he's so possessive about the bone. What is it?

By Betty from Lubbock, TX

Most likely because its a real "meat" bone, and because it's his. Or he considers it to be. They are like kids at times- possissive of food and toys.

I give my Pom a hoof "bone" to chew and he only chews it at bedtime, in his dog bed. It's his, so I don't try to take it from him, and he knows I won't. I let him enjoy it. When he's finished, he usually drops it and comes to bed. You could try waiting and see what happens when yours is "Finished" with his.

Anonymous

I don't understand why you would even try to take it away after giving it to him in the first place. It's his and it's a dogs nature to protect their food/meat source and it's meat whether it's dog food, an actual bone or rawhide. Just knowing he doesn't like it even if it's you trying to take it away should be enough to tell you to allow him to be done with it when he's done with it.

Please do not deny giving your fur baby bones in the future just because his timeline isn't the same as yours and IMHO it's mean to take it away from him and then allow him to search (most likely frantically) for it after it's taken it away from him especially through trickery. :-(