Installing Self-Stick Tiles Over Ceramic Tiles

Self stick tiles are easy to install. Assessing and preparing the surface prior to installation is important for a successful outcome. This is a guide about installing self-stick tiles over ceramic tiles.

October 3, 2009 Flag

I have a tile backsplash in my kitchen that I do not like. I want to cover it up, but removing the tile is impossible. The bottom 1/3 is glossy subway tile, the next row up is 1 inch square pieces, and the top 1/2 is glass 1 inch squares. I do not like the look. Will covering it with peel and stick tiles work? What can I do?

By peh3 from Seattle, WA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I am not sure if this will work for you, but years ago I used adhesive back "contact paper" on the tile back splash in an apartment kitchen. Most of the tile was solid beige, but orange tiles were placed at random intervals. I found a striped contact paper that coordinated with the solid beige tile. I cut squares of contact paper the exact size of the tile and covered only the orange tiles. I did not cover the grout lines. Presto, the orange tiles disappeared and my kitchen had a new look for less than $10.

Best Answer

I believe there is a paint which covers ceramic tiles. Seems I recall watching a "home style fix it" type show in which the owner did not like the color of her bathroom tiles so she painted over it. Sorry I don't have the name of the product. Maybe try a tile store, or Home Depot etc.

October 3, 2009 Flag

I have white ceramic tiles in my kitchen and I can't keep this floor clean, because it has an outside door. Any ideas for covering up the floor? Would sticky back floor tile work? Any other ideas?

By penguingranny55 from Sun City, AZ

Answers:

I don't think you should try to cover up this flooring. I think a good large mat outside the door, and another inside should catch the dirt. In my home, I have large mats in front of the doors, inside and out, and having sidewalks helps a lot too. And everyone takes off their outside shoes in this house, unless they are wearing something very fancy, that wouldn't be dirty anyway.

This would be a whole lot cheaper than replacing the flooring. And a lot less work. (04/07/2009)

By louel53

I had the same problem and I put self-stick vinyl tile over my light colored ceramic tile floor just over a year ago, with no problems. It is much easier to care for and I now have a color I like. (04/08/2009)

By grannybear

I have white ceramic tile on my kitchen floor and love it. The floor does get dirty quickly, however, it is the easiest floor to clean. I just sweep and then use a wet Swiffer or if there's no grease, even water works great. (04/09/2009)

By Noella

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 6, 2009 Flag

I am trying to install self-stick floor tiles over an existing ceramic tile bathroom floor. They will not stick on that surface. Is there some type of bonding agent that would adhere the 2 surfaces? I am trying to avoid doing a sub floor.

By Megan from Albany, NY

Answers:

The ceramic tiles may have been sealed with a polyurethane type sealer or wax that helps them to remain shiny and easy to clean. You could try a product called TSP (trisodiumphosphate) it will cut the wax or even grease and prep the surface but, it's hard to tell without seeing the tile. They may have a very high gloss surface without any sealant on them.

Is the area too big to knock the tiles off and start with a clean surface? (I know and a big mess, too). If the tile surface is flat and tight with small grout areas you may be able to use an additional adhesive (like paneling/construction adhesive) but if your surface is uneven you won't get a nice even surface for your tiles you want to apply. A point of reference might be [diy.com] or [handyman.com]. Maggie (03/27/2009)

By rowinghome

As much as you don't want to hear this, you really need to remove the original tile and start over. You need a flat, level surface to work on and it just won't work well to put tile over tile. Sorry! (03/28/2009)

By Allison5

Allison and Maggie make great points. I'm the DIY guy that can be counted on to do the right thing, only after I've tried every cockamamie short cut first! I used peel and stick tiles about five times. Three of those five times I tore them out after less than two years because they looked horrible. I put a quality vinyl self stick tile over an old bathroom ceramic tile floor. After a time, the impression of the tile underneath was showing through the new vinyl tile. The two times I used the self stick tile and the job looked great was when it was installed on a properly prepared sub-floor. Chopping out the old tile may sound tedious but will save you some grief later. Contact the manufacturer of the self stick tile and there is usually a customer advice line. Ask for pointers. They will not advise you to do anything that will void the warranty. Tom (03/29/2009)

By Nockmoi

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Home Improvement FlooringNovember 30, 2016
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Removing Moss from Asphalt Roof Tiles
Self-Publishing a Book
Self-Publishing a Book
Self-Closing Gate With Springs
Installing a Self-Closing Gate
Ceramic Floor Tile
Fixing Cracks in Ceramic Floor Tile
🎉
🎄