Installing Self-Stick Tiles Over Ceramic Tiles

I have a tile backsplash in my kitchen that I do not like. I want to cover it up, but removing the tile is impossible. The bottom 1/3 is glossy subway tile, the next row up is 1 inch square pieces, and the top 1/2 is glass 1 inch squares. I do not like the look. Will covering it with peel and stick tiles work? What can I do?

By paula from Seattle, WA

Best Answer

I am not sure if this will work for you, but years ago I used adhesive back "contact paper" on the tile back splash in an apartment kitchen. Most of the tile was solid beige, but orange tiles were placed at random intervals. I found a striped contact paper that coordinated with the solid beige tile. I cut squares of contact paper the exact size of the tile and covered only the orange tiles. I did not cover the grout lines. Presto, the orange tiles disappeared and my kitchen had a new look for less than $10.

Best Answer

I believe there is a paint which covers ceramic tiles. Seems I recall watching a "home style fix it" type show in which the owner did not like the color of her bathroom tiles so she painted over it.

Sorry I don't have the name of the product. Maybe try a tile store, or Home Depot etc.