FlooringHome Improvement

Installing Peel and Stick Tiles

I live in an older mobile home and would like to put peel and stick or regular tiles over the back splash in the kitchen that is made of laminate, like the counter tops. Can this be done?

By Judy from Braham, MN

Best Answer

Yes, peel and stick tiles can be used as a backsplash, but don't rely on the self adhesive to work alone. You will need to spread thinly another type of adhesive to the wall prior to placing tiles.

Best Answer

I have done this at a camp that I worked at.

Installing the Peel and Stick Tiles

• Do not leave gaps or it will come up as water eventually will leak through.

• The counter area must be clean and dry. If the tiles are not sticking you will need to use an iron to heat it up the glue (put clean white paper on tile to protect it, move it often). This is also a good way to remove a stick on tile. Use a brass scraper (stiffer) to help scrape it up when its warm.
Maintaining Your Counter
  • To help maintain the tiles, make sure you do not cut on them.
  • Do not put hot pots on them.
  • Lift up your drain board and let area dry completely.
  • When wiping counter, do not leave water standing, wipe dry.

Clean the laminate thoroughly with something like STP. Rinse and dry well as well.

Sand the laminate lightly in all directions with a fine grit sandpaper to make a tooth for the adhesive tiles.

I agree that you should use another thin layer of adhesive on the laminate itself, perhaps No More Nails to reinforce the stuff on the back of the tiles. Whatever you use should be waterproof and mold resistant if possible since they will be exposed to so much water. A clear caulk like is used in bathrooms might work as the second adhesive but I would spread it thin with a putty knife.

Also, you may want to think of some nice molding around the top to keep it in place. Good plan!

No. I would advise against that, m.o ~ Actually, what looks really nice, easy maintenance etc. You can find it at Home Depot or maybe Rona's. It's a board, back splash. They come in different sizes. I had a navy blue one, blackish in between to simulate the tiled edges. And it was very affordable and washable, etc., Low maintenance. Easy to put up. Did it myself.

If you use peel and stick, eventually, it will fall off and it's a pain. They may slide around, you start to see spaces, in between the tiles, etc. Similar to a floor only worse. They aren't designed to lay upwards flat, they fall down. You basically either have to glue them down for durability or mud them with tile glue.

If ever you want to change your mind. That makes it hard to take off virtually destroying your walls. Here's a link to it. I found it at Home Depot. It comes in different styles and sizes. The website is limited. In case the link won't load. You can do a search on Home Depot-Backsplashes.

Hope that helps! Just an added idea. :)

http://www.home  Ntk=P_PartNumber