Installing Peel and Stick Tiles

Category Flooring
Adding new flooring can be simple and easy when you install one pre-glued tile at a time. This is a guide about installing peel and stick tiles.

I live in an older mobile home and would like to put peel and stick or regular tiles over the back splash in the kitchen that is made of laminate, like the counter tops. Can this be done?

By Judy from Braham, MN

Answers

Best Answer

Yes, peel and stick tiles can be used as a backsplash, but don't rely on the self adhesive to work alone. You will need to spread thinly another type of adhesive to the wall prior to placing tiles.

Best Answer

I have done this at a camp that I worked at.

Installing the Peel and Stick Tiles

• Do not leave gaps or it will come up as water eventually will leak through.
  • The counter area must be clean and dry. If the tiles are not sticking you will need to use an iron to heat it up the glue (put clean white paper on tile to protect it, move it often). This is also a good way to remove a stick on tile. Use a brass scraper (stiffer) to help scrape it up when its warm.
Maintaining Your Counter

• To help maintain the tiles, make sure you do not cut on them.
  • Do not put hot pots on them.
  • Lift up your drain board and let area dry completely.
  • When wiping counter, do not leave water standing, wipe dry.

How does one make the pattern for laying adhesive floor tiles around the bottom of the toilet?

By Jet

Answers

Best Answer

I read somewhere, that you make a paper template around the toilet then transfer the template to floor tile. It should fit like a puzzle piece. Good question, I was also wondering the same thing. Good luck.

Best Answer

When I did my bathroom I took up the toilet, laid the new vinyl and replaced the toilet. Not that difficult.

I have put self stick tile down years ago in both bathrooms and easily removed the linoleum first. Now after 18 years I want to put a solid color self stick down. Can I put the new self stick on top of the old? I will make sure to space them so they cover the old lines completely. Or do I have to remove the old ones first? They were really stuck from the moment I put them down. I am 67 and will be doing the work myself.

By SandyK from Tucson

Answers

Best Answer

If I were you it would be best to remove the old flooring and start from scratch. You might run into problems with your old floor heaving up underneath the new tiles. After you remove the old flooring, make sure that you sweep the sub-flooring well. If you don't you will end up with bumps under your tiles. Buy a can of adhesive and apply it to your sub-flooring, before laying out your tiles.

I have a gas indoor fireplace in my house. Can I use peel and stick brick look tile and what would I need because of the heat from fireplace? This is a metal fireplace.

By Ameenah

A few of my self adhesive vinyl tiles did not stick. What should I do?

By Judy from Jonesboro, GA

Answers:

Glue Them Down

Glue them down. They may still make tile glue. If not, a glue gun, "Liquid Nails" or some strong glue will work. Ask someone at the store where you bought the tiles.

By Vicki

Heat the Tiles

Try heating the tiles with a hairdryer and then weighting the tiles down, perhaps with some heavy books, the heat should reactivate the glue, on the tile back.

By Sharon Cross

Mastic Cement

Get some mastic glue/cement at Home Depot or the like. This is what is used to lay non-self-stick tile or vinyl.

By Linda L.

What is the best way to install peel and stick tile in a mobile home?

By Laura Bishop from Lafayette, LA

Feedback:

Floor Adhesive

I would advise you to buy some floor adhesive at Lowe's or Home Depot and brush it on the plywood flooring before laying your tiles. Follow directions on the can of adhesive before laying your peel and stick tiles. The peel and stick tiles will not adhere properly if you don't use floor adhesive.

Find the center of the floor, lay 4 tiles in a square and work from the middle of your floor to the outer perimeter. You can always cut your tiles to fit next to the baseboards.

Go to Google and search for a website that shows you how to properly lay a floor.

By Marjorie

For Older Mobile Homes

We used peel and stick on a small bathroom over linoleum. The above info is the proper way to do it, but if you have an older mobile (like ours) 12 ft. wide, then cabinets and a long outside wall, here is my suggestion.

Lay out your tiles along the wall and work toward the cabinets, as this is the most seen area. Cut to fit under the cabinets. If you have molding down the wall and under cabinets, remove and discard. You really need to buy new to put over the tiles. If you are applying over plywood or a very bumpy textured linoleum then buy adhesive, otherwise super clean and extra super rinse the floor.

By Elizabeth Kent

I have replaced the wood in the kitchen floor of a mobile home and want to put down peel and stick tile. How do I go about doing this?

By Trish from Birmingham, AL

Answers:

Buy Adhesive

I have replaced all the carpet in my mobile home due to pets. Make sure you buy an adhesive for vinyl tile which most peel and stick tile is. Start in the center of the room and place adhesive directly on the floor, trowel even, and start placing tiles. Wipe up extra with a damp cloth on the tiles. It easy and looks great! It is time consuming, but worth the effort. Good luck.

By allison Fraylick

I'm using peel and stick tile in my kitchen. I'm putting it over existing square tile. Is there anything I need to do before sticking down the tile?

Rachel from Holtsville, NY

Answers:

Installation Tips

I put peel and stick tiles in our bathroom, and the floor looks great. The adhesive is very sticky, no additional glue needed.

Also, if you'll be cutting any pieces to fit around the toilet, etc., two things will make it easier. First, warm it up a bit with a hair dryer. Secondly, if you have an old pair of kitchen shears you no longer use, your hands will thank you. Regular scissors aren't quite good enough to cut through the tiles.

By Melanie Jackson

Install on a Clean Surface

Of course I'm presuming you already know to be sure the area to be tiled is free of dust, dirt and debris, as well as anything you don't want permanently attached to the new tile.

By Lelia Jo Cordell

Check Your Warranty

I just installed "premium" vinyl tiles in my kitchen. Per manufacturer's instructions, using additional glue will VOID the WARRANTY. Also, they will not warranty tiles used anywhere there is water (duh, okay that pretty much wipes out the warranty, but still good to know).

They also do not want you to use any "harsh chemicals" or wax on the tiles. Our local Walmart has used vinyl in the shoe department and they wax it as they do the regular "store type" tiles and the edges are curling after just a couple of years. "No wax" means "No wax".

I recommend having old linoleum under the tiles for the water proof factor of the sub-flooring beneath. Also, I watched videos on HGTV before starting and got some very helpful tips on how to measure around corners and such. I'm super happy with my tiles.

By Kellie Alexander

Installing Peel and Stick Tiles

I've used the Cryntel peel-n-stick tiles (from Lowe's) in my entry way, stair landing and all bathrooms and they've held up well.

I did however pull up the old linoleum flooring and cleaned the sub-floor before installing. A mistake. Water can seep through to the sub-floor (as I've witnessed). I've now put a clear sealer over the flooring, which is holding up well.

Since you are cutting the tiles to fit, make sure to keep the spare pieces. I decided to use the spare pieces along with some full size (12x12) tiles, cut into 3rds, to redo the backsplash in my kitchen. It looks fantastic. I used wood trim below and above to even it out and give it depth. I still have to spackle/wood fill the screw holes in the trim, caulk and then put a couple coats of polycrylic over to seal and protect from water, but the transformation is amazing.

If you are considering using peel-n-stick, most home improvement stores will let you buy one, or a few pieces. This way, you can put in different areas (before installing) to see how it will go. The tiles I used have the grout line in them also, making them look more like real tile.

I tried putting it on the sides of my white laminate kitchen cabinets. It doesn't stay up, unless you use a 2nd strong adhesive and some small screws. I decided against it and used textured wall paper.

By JARED DELLINGER

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Has anyone used peel and stick tile in their bathroom? Do you have to use extra glue do to the moisture?

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes