Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Bypassing Safety Switches On Riding Lawnmower

How do you bypass the 3 safety switches on a riding lawnmower?

jimmynjax from Orange Park, FL

Editor's Note: We wouldn't recommend bypassing safety switches because they are there so you don't hurt yourself.

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By jim06/08/2009

Hi I'm not gonna tell you that the switches are there so we don't let our children get mangled by a mower, we made unsafe. I'm just trying to keep you safe. If you tell me how many wires for each switch what switch they are as in seat, electric clutch and so on. I'm pretty sure I can walk you through checking them with a meter to see if there working properly or not. Give me a holler I'll try my best to help.

By jeff (Guest Post)10/25/2008

One reason to bypass a lawnmower switches is to make them into a racing mower (removing the mower part.) If I were you I would just take them apart as I am and figure it out. On mine I have a safety switch apart and the way to do it is the whites stay apart and the two blacks that go together into the switch go together. It's just hot wiring the thing. If this doesn't work just take something and cut apart the switch and take a look. The worst that could happen is you have to buy another switch which is like $10.

By richard johnson06/02/2008

I understand why you would to do this. I think that
things were better when a person was expected to use their brain more. Some switches should be normaly closed for the motor to run and the blades to work. Those switches could be remover and the wires connected. Some other switches should be normally open (not making contact). These type should not contact if you want the thing to keep running. When you move the throttle to shut off a push mover you make contact with a switch that kills the spark.

By cupcase AT yahoo.com (Guest Post)05/26/2008

Let me know if u get an answer. I know one of the safety switches are not working on mine. Won't do anything.

By Jill [4]05/08/2008

Why would you want to do that? They're there for a purpose! Are they malfunctioning?

Here are questions related to Bypassing Safety Switches On Riding Lawnmower.

Question: Removing Safety Switch on Riding Mower

I've got a problem about my Scott's John Deere riding lawnmower and I need to find the answer for how to bypass the safety switch in the engine of this lawnmower. Please let me know!

By Anh N

Most Recent Answer

By Melanie Jackson [1]07/02/2012

On reading your post a second time, never bypass any safety switch. Just find out how to repair whatever problem you're having, but leave the safety switch alone. Yesterday at the hardware store, I just spoke to a guy who knew someone who bypassed the safety, and ended up injuring himself badly.

Question: Bypassing the Clutch on a Riding Mower

How can I bypass a clutch on a riding mower so I don't need it to start the mower?

By Dylan