Bypassing Safety Switches On Riding Lawnmower

How do you bypass the 3 safety switches on a riding lawnmower?

jimmynjax from Orange Park, FL

Editor's Note: We wouldn't recommend bypassing safety switches because they are there so you don't hurt yourself.

Why would you want to do that? They're there for a purpose! Are they malfunctioning?

Because the brake sensor is poorly engineered. And this is just for starting up motor.

The clip that holds the sensor breaks easily.

There is something wrong with one of them tractor want crank

YES I have checked all places can't find some of the switches. I have used all brain over it have

Let me know if u get an answer. I know one of the safety switches are not working on mine. Won't do anything.

I understand why you would to do this. I think that

things were better when a person was expected to use their brain more. Some switches should be normaly closed for the motor to run and the blades to work. Those switches could be remover and the wires connected. Some other switches should be normally open (not making contact). These type should not contact if you want the thing to keep running. When you move the throttle to shut off a push mover you make contact with a switch that kills the spark.

One reason to bypass a lawnmower switches is to make them into a racing mower (removing the mower part.) If I were you I would just take them apart as I am and figure it out. On mine I have a safety switch apart and the way to do it is the whites stay apart and the two blacks that go together into the switch go together. It's just hot wiring the thing. If this doesn't work just take something and cut apart the switch and take a look. The worst that could happen is you have to buy another switch which is like $10.

Hi I'm not gonna tell you that the switches are there so we don't let our children get mangled by a mower, we made unsafe. I'm just trying to keep you safe. If you tell me how many wires for each switch what switch they are as in seat, electric clutch and so on. I'm pretty sure I can walk you through checking them with a meter to see if there working properly or not. Give me a holler I'll try my best to help.

I will be the only one using this mower

June 26, 2012 Flag

I've got a problem about my Scott's John Deere riding lawnmower and I need to find the answer for how to bypass the safety switch in the engine of this lawnmower. Please let me know!

By Anh N

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Have you tried calling John Deere, or visiting their website? Manufacturers often have repair manuals that will help with issues like this.

Alternatively, do a Google search for "lawn mower repair forum". There are several forums where you can register and ask questions like this.

Good luck!

On reading your post a second time, never bypass any safety switch. Just find out how to repair whatever problem you're having, but leave the safety switch alone. Yesterday at the hardware store, I just spoke to a guy who knew someone who bypassed the safety, and ended up injuring himself badly.

Sorry I would love to bypass my seat sensor I don't weigh much and have to mow with an extra 10 lbs on the seat with me.

Guess what? Many of these companies so called "safety switches" are so poorly engineered they significantly interfere with the operation of the mower. For example I have sent my Husqvarna riding mower into the shop six times to try to get it keep from stopping running when on any kind of grade. Virtyually every thing in the mower was checked or changed with zero improvement. The mower only had 44 hours on it when the problem first got my attention due to moving to a place which has more hilly lawn. The culprit is the $10.00 seat safety switch which is about 2 1/2 inches in diameter so with the slightest shifting of weight it stops the engine. What kind of an idiot would design something like that? It is almost impossible to bypass as well. What I have is a $2,000 POS.

Having grown up on a farm I agree that the safety switches on riding mowers are a bit ridiculous. The best safety switch is a brain and an understanding of the machine you're using. That said, most switches are simple open/close circuit switches... just like the flip switch in your house. The machine either wants an open circuit or a closed one, if it wants open, cut and tape the ends of the wires. If it wants closed, twist the ends together and tape them off.

Not doubting your statement but it just seems almost no one knows anyone personally that got a foot or toes cut off, just that they knew someone who said they knew etc etc. Yes, some safety switches are a good idea. Others are not well thought out at all and result in more machines getting tossed that actual failures or overpriced repairs at the dealer. I will say that anyone who messes with the safety devices has a duty and responsibility to report that ( I would do it in writing ) should it be sold the buyer is made aware of same. The threat of lawsuits and lack of personal responsibility is absolutely appalling in the past several decades.

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersMay 8, 2008
Lawnmower
Lawnmower Blade Won't Turn
Riding Lawnmower
Riding Lawnmower Will Not Shift Gears
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
A woman wearing a bike helmet.
Teaching Bike Safety
🎉
🎄