Old Fashioned Chocolate Cream Fudge

A couple of years ago I offered to post this recipe for old fashioned fudge that is grainy. I never posted it because I lost it. Recently found it and thought I'd post it for those who still want it. This fudge is not smooth and creamy (equals slimy to me), it is the old fashioned stuff that was made before marshmallow creme. It is absolutely delicious and the grainy texture is not from the sugar not dissolving, it's made to be this way!

• 3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate squares
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup evaporated milk
  • 1-2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/2 cup nuts (optional)

Directions:

Grease 8 inch square pan (OR line with foil and grease the foil, then you can just pull it out of the pan and set on counter to cut). In heavy pan/pot, mix sugar, corn syrup, unsweetened chocolate squares, salt and evaporated milk. Cook to 238 degrees F (softball stage).

Now this step is what I don't remember the directions say, didn't write them down. Some people say, when making candy, to heat the stuff at medium to medium high temperature without stirring. I use heavy pot (my pressure cooker) and heat it at medium high to high & stir it with a wooden spoon or heat proof spatula, scraping the sides down.)

Once it reaches 238 degrees F., remove from heat and cool to lukewarm (you can let it sit to cool, but I usually put it in a bowl of ice water and stir it a couple of times until it's lukewarm). Add vanilla (and optional nuts). Beat with electric mixer until creamy, pour into pan and cut into 1 1/2 inch squares.

I haven't made this for around 3 years, so I can't give better directions (if I make it,I'll eat a whole pan! LOL). So if you have trouble with or questions about, just ask. I might be inspired to make a batch just to try to answer your questions.

FYI: If you've never made fudge or candy, be warned not to try it on a rainy or really humid day because it won't set right.

Source: This is a delicious, grainy, old-fashioned fudge that I got from an Amish cooking TV show.

By Lyonpridej from Tulsa, OK

Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge
Old-Fashioned Chocolate Fudge Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Candies FudgeFebruary 1, 2010
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Maple Fudge
Maple Fudge Recipes
white chocolate fudge
White Chocolate Fudge Recipes
🎉
🎄