Cut Tube Open Before Throwing Away

When a tube of cream or toothpaste gets down to the end and I can't push any more out, I cut the end and scoop out what's still left inside as I need it. To keep the contents from drying out, I put the container in a small sandwich bag. I also do this with bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and lotion that are too low for the pump to get to the contents. I cut the bottom and spoon out the remaining contents into the new bottle or other container. Feels good to get every last drop of my favorite creams and lotions, especially when they were expensive to begin with.

By emanuelli from Taos, NM

This is so true. I get about another 2 weeks worth of toothpaste after cutting the tube open. You don't need a whole toothbrush full of toothpaste to be effective. I also do this with my favorite Oil of Olay moisturizer, the one splurge I allow myself.

If you have hand cream, toothpaste, or any other preparation that comes in a tube, a lot gets left inside after you've squeezed the tube "empty". If you cut the bottom off the tube, you can scoop out an amazing amount of the product that would otherwise have gone to waste. Just keep cutting off more from the bottom as you use what is closest to the cut edge, and you won't have any trouble reaching clear to the cap from the inside. I had some Avon skin cream that yielded about 7 more applications from an empty tube.

By libadmin from Clovis, NM

Answers:

Cut Tube Open Before Throwing Away

I did this just week before last with toothpaste and got another week's worth. You only need a dab of toothpaste anyway, and not the whole brush full like they show on TV commercials just to get you to use it up quicker and buy more. So, you are absolutely right about cutting the tubes open. (10/02/2010)

By chef4u

Cut Tube Open Before Throwing Away

This is a great tip! I've been doing this for awhile and am amazed at what you can get out of a tube when it looks like it's empty! (10/03/2010)

By Maryeileen

When you think lotion, etc. tubes are empty, cut them open. You probably have another week or so supply of product left. I just put the tube and all in a zip-lock bag.

By jackie's from North Powder, Or

Answers:

Cut Tube Open Before Throwing Away

I have been doing this for years with toothpaste, lotion, etc. My kids thought I was nuts until they had to start buying their own and realized how much is in there when you think it is empty. I usually just cut in half put all the "stuff" at one end and then put the other half of the bottle/tube over the other half. (05/18/2010)

By dwutz

Cut Tube Open Before Throwing Away

I really need to try this with lotion bottles! I do, however, make sure I get every drop of dish soap. When I have only a coating in the bottle, I rinse it all into the sink that's filling. One more load of dishes, no waste! (05/22/2010)

By JustPlainJo

Cut Tube Open Before Throwing Away

I cut open a tube of face moisturizer and, seriously, I got one full MONTH of product out of it. I use it twice per day so that month equated to 60 applications. (05/23/2010)

By Maryinaz

My husband had precancerous spot on his face and hands. The doctor prescribed a tube of medicine which cost over $100. He thought he had used it all out of the tube? I cut off top, slit the side and got several more uses. This also applies to tubes of toothpaste, hand lotions, almost any thing that is in plastic tubes and some containers.

By Gladys Hill