Saving Money on Toiletries

Category Bath & Beauty
Toiletries can be expensive to buy and may be overused by family members. This is a page about saving money on toiletries.

I searched high and low in every store and could not find a good, old-fashioned poofy powder puff. I use Gold Bond Power in various and sundry places and had been using my hand or a wash cloth to apply it. In the midst of searching another store, my husband suggested I take an old sock and fill it with powder and use that. WOW! What a suggestion!

When I got home, I found a cotton anklet that needed a job and put about 1/2 cup Gold Bond Powder in it. I twisted the top and tied it off with a rubber band. I poofed power in all the right places, and it didn't make near the mess the other ways had done.

My husband! The inventor of poofy powder socks.

By Elaine from OK

I can't see very well without my glasses, so I put a large "S" on my shampoo bottle and a large "C" om my conditioner bottle with a waterproof marker, now I can tell one from the other while I am in the shower. This really helps

By Ora Mae G. from TX

Do you ever wonder how much of a product, such as lotion, gets thrown away when you can no longer squeeze or pump any more out? I did. When I ran out of a bottle of lotion, I cut the thing open, and was surprised at how much clings to the sides and pools in the bottom, especially with pump mechanisms.

So when things that come in a plastic bottle, like lotion (thicker things like creams and lotions are the worst) can't be gotten out with the pump, you can do this to help reduce waste and get the most out of the product.

Make sure you keep one container at least partially full, to put the remnants in. Then cut open your almost-out lotions and use an old spoon or the like to scoop out all of the remaining lotion. A 50 cent plastic funnel helps make the job a lot easier. Then simply pour it all into the single container. I recommend doing this with same or similar kinds of lotion, so you know it will mix well, but if you don't mind mixing scents and colors and the like, then just mix it all together. I just use one kind, so it's easy for me.

And the plastic might by recyclable. If it is, I can't imagine it's any less recyclable in two pieces than in one.

By Saber from Omaha, NE

We always save the soap, shampoos, toothpaste, and lotions we get at hotels when we stay in them. They come in handy when we run out of out regular soaps and things, especially when we can't make it to the store right away.

A dime sized shampoo works great for me, even when my hair is long, and it saves money too. Just put a dime sized plop of shampoo in your hand, rub it, and spread it over your damp hair, and nope, it does not usually lather in your hair.

Get all the product that you paid for out of the bottle or tube before throwing it out. Plastic tubes are easily cut in half with scissors.

Then you can reach in and get out the toothpaste, lotion, or whatever is in it.

A large portion of our grocery budgets go to non grocery personal care items. How do you save money on toiletries like shampoo, soap, lotion and other personal care products? Here are tips from the ThriftyFun community. Post your own ideas here.

Saving Money on Toiletries

We live on a limited income, and shop at Dollar General stores often. There, we buy DG brand antibacterial soap for bathing. A 40 oz. bottle cost $2.

My mother-in-law taught me this during our visit this summer. When you have a stiff tube of product such as shampoo, moisturizer, or sunscreen and there's too little cream left to squeeze out, you can cut the tube crosswise into two sections.

To keep the contents from drying out, I put the container in a small sandwich bag. I also do this with bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and lotion that are too low for the pump to get to the contents.

It's surprising how much product is left when you think the last drop has been squeezed from that tube of facial cleanser, moisturizer, or hair gel.

Instead of buying a clip for squeezing out your toothpaste, conditioner tubes, etc., put the tube down on the counter and with the handle of a screwdriver or hair brush, push from the bottom up to the cap end.

Do you love your bath salt, but it is never enough, and it costs too much to continually replace? You can mix your current bath salts with equal amounts of baking soda to give you more and it also softens the water even more for you.

Can't get lotion out of that tube? There's plenty left after you've squeezed as much out as you can! Cut the end off with scissors. For small tubes, your finger can get the rest out.

Most people don't realize that the main purpose of a facial cream is to seal in water. The best way to save money on your creams is to mix a little water in your hand with your cream or lotion and apply gently to a slightly damp face.

You can save the amount of lotion and soaps you dispense from pump-style bottles by wrapping a big rubber band around their necks. When you go to pump, it dispenses a much smaller amount, making it easier for you to control how much comes out.

My family members and I are always calling to each other to take the extra dispensed lotion off our hands. Now we just band it up instead!

A rubber band on a lotion bottle to prevent the dispenser from going down fully.

First of all, I use the cheaper brand. Alberto VO5 around here is usually just $1 a bottle and sometimes on sale for less. Their conditioners seem like they mix more reddily with water.

Some kids don't know what a normal amount of shampoo, conditioner, or showergel is. They tend to use way too much.You can just buy a plastic pump bottle for each different product to refill over and over, and tell them that 1 or 2 pushes is enough!

This helped me save loads and loads of money.

This is a really simple and quick way to get all your toothpaste in the tube up to the dispenser. Just hold the tube front and back, then place the back end on the counter edge.

Re-use those 2 oz. energy drink bottles you've accumulated to put lotion samples in if you make your own lotions. They are perfect for purses because of their size. You could also refill them with shampoos and conditioners to take along camping or on trips.

Do you have any tips on how to use all of a product or get the most out of a product like toothpaste or shampoo? Post your ideas below or send them to daily@thriftyfun.com

Answers

When you are near the end of a tube of lotion, shower gel, facial scrub, etc. and can't easily get that last bit out, don't throw
it away. Leave the cap on and cut the top of the tube off far enough so that you can reach your fingers into the bottom to scrape out that last tid-bit. I have gotten more uses out of things which over time saves money (and resources).

Beth

I buy the generic Lubriderm lotion for my husband. There is usually a good 1/2 inch of lotion left at the bottom of the bottle when the pump stops working. I stand the old one on top of the new one (after the new one has been used a little) and tape them together with a little masking tape. Then when I come back a few hours later, the old is COMPLETELY empty!

Lynn

Load More

Consumer Advice Shopping Bath & BeautyJune 27, 2012
🐛
😷
😎
📓
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Saving-Money-on-Toiletries-1.html