Saving Money on Toiletries

I searched high and low in every store and could not find a good, old-fashioned poofy powder puff. I use Gold Bond Power in various and sundry places and had been using my hand or a wash cloth to apply it. In the midst of searching another store, my husband suggested I take an old sock and fill it with powder and use that. WOW! What a suggestion!

When I got home, I found a cotton anklet that needed a job and put about 1/2 cup Gold Bond Powder in it. I twisted the top and tied it off with a rubber band. I poofed power in all the right places, and it didn't make near the mess the other ways had done.

My husband! The inventor of poofy powder socks.

By Elaine from OK

More Solutions

I can't see very well without my glasses, so I put a large "S" on my shampoo bottle and a large "C" om my conditioner bottle with a waterproof marker, now I can tell one from the other while I am in the shower.

Do you ever wonder how much of a product, such as lotion, gets thrown away when you can no longer squeeze or pump any more out? I did.

We always save the soap, shampoos, toothpaste, and lotions we get at hotels when we stay in them. They come in handy when we run out of out regular soaps and things, especially when we can't make it to the store right away.

A dime sized shampoo works great for me, even when my hair is long, and it saves money too. Just put a dime sized plop of shampoo in your hand, rub it, and spread it over your damp hair, and nope, it does not usually lather in your hair.

Get all the product that you paid for out of the bottle or tube before throwing it out. Plastic tubes are easily cut in half with scissors. Then you can reach in and get out the toothpaste, lotion, or whatever is in it.

A large portion of our grocery budgets go to non grocery personal care items. How do you save money on toiletries like shampoo, soap, lotion and other personal care products? Here are tips from the ThriftyFun community. Post your own ideas here.

Saving Money on Toiletries

We live on a limited income, and shop at Dollar General stores often. There, we buy DG brand antibacterial soap for bathing. A 40 oz. bottle cost $2.

My mother-in-law taught me this during our visit this summer. When you have a stiff tube of product such as shampoo, moisturizer, or sunscreen and there's too little cream left to squeeze out, you can cut the tube crosswise into two sections.

To keep the contents from drying out, I put the container in a small sandwich bag. I also do this with bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and lotion that are too low for the pump to get to the contents.

It's surprising how much product is left when you think the last drop has been squeezed from that tube of facial cleanser, moisturizer, or hair gel.

Instead of buying a clip for squeezing out your toothpaste, conditioner tubes, etc., put the tube down on the counter and with the handle of a screwdriver or hair brush, push from the bottom up to the cap end.

Do you love your bath salt, but it is never enough, and it costs too much to continually replace? You can mix your current bath salts with equal amounts of baking soda to give you more and it also softens the water even more for you.

Can't get lotion out of that tube? There's plenty left after you've squeezed as much out as you can! Cut the end off with scissors. For small tubes, your finger can get the rest out.

Most people don't realize that the main purpose of a facial cream is to seal in water. The best way to save money on your creams is to mix a little water in your hand with your cream or lotion and apply gently to a slightly damp face.

You can save the amount of lotion and soaps you dispense from pump-style bottles by wrapping a big rubber band around their necks. When you go to pump, it dispenses a much smaller amount, making it easier for you to control how much comes out. My family members and I are always calling to each other to take the extra dispensed lotion off our hands. Now we just band it up instead!

A rubber band on a lotion bottle to prevent the dispenser from going down fully.

First of all, I use the cheaper brand. Alberto VO5 around here is usually just $1 a bottle and sometimes on sale for less. Their conditioners seem like they mix more reddily with water.

Some kids don't know what a normal amount of shampoo, conditioner, or showergel is. They tend to use way too much.You can just buy a plastic pump bottle for each different product to refill over and over, and tell them that 1 or 2 pushes is enough! This helped me save loads and loads of money.

This is a really simple and quick way to get all your toothpaste in the tube up to the dispenser. Just hold the tube front and back, then place the back end on the counter edge.

Load More
Consumer Advice Shopping Bath & BeautyJune 27, 2012
🐰
🌻
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Saving-Money-on-Toiletries-1.html