Use Rice to Absorb Excess Moisture in Electronics

I washed my cell phone in the washing machine. I got it out , took it all apart, and placed it in a bag of rice. It is working fine now :)

By fancy2253 from Cincinnati, Ohio

February 13, 2011 Flag

Ever have you or one of your family members get a cell phone wet? After my son-in-law left one in a pocket for the 3rd time, ending up in the wash, I figured why not try to remove moisture the way an older Asian lady taught me how she would draw moisture from items. I'd read not to use a blow dryer with heat on the unit as it can cause more damage than help drying the phone out.

I took the phone, battery out, tightly wrapped both separately in two or three layers of a quilted brand of paper towel, put them in a small container, then completely covered with raw rice. Bingo! After two days the rice swelled up, drawing the moisture out of the phone and the battery. A quick charge, the phone worked perfectly again.

I did the same for a friend when she dropped her daughters iPod in the pool. Why not give it a try, much cheaper than going out to buy new ones!

By EM10 from Marco Island, FL

October 20, 2010 Flag

If you ever have the misfortune of dropping your cell phone accidentally in water immediately take it apart. Pat gently with paper towels to get the excess water off. Put enough rice in a bowl to cover the cell phone pieces and place plastic wrap securely over the bowl. The rice will absorb the moisture overnight! It may save you having to replace the cell phone!

Source: A friend!

By Pattie from Bridgton

Answers:

Use Rice To Absorb Excess Moisture In Electronics

I also put a few grains of dry rice into my salt shakers to keep the moisture out and keep the salt flowing smoothly. Never thought of using it for other moisture problems. Thanks for sharing. (05/19/2009)

By southeastgeorgiapeach

Yep, since most fully-loaded cell phones cost a minimum of $250 and even basic models usually cost around $100, this tip could really save someone a fortune! (05/20/2009)

By JustPlainJo

My son put his cell phone in front of the fan of his playstation; it blows hot air. The moisture evaporated in no time. Phone works fine. (05/20/2009)

By louel53

May 19, 2009 Flag

Oops, you dropped your cell phone in a puddle? Don't panic. Before you run out to buy a new one, try this trick. Put the phone in a bowl of uncooked rice overnight. The rice absorbs the water and much of the time the phone will work!

By Julie from Gardner, MA

Answers:

I've always heard that if you drop something in water, to not use it until it's fully dry. Just dry the best you can, take the battery out and leave it set until the insides are totally dry. Then, replace batteries and turn on. You have a better chance of it working with no residual problems than if you used it before it dries completely. (08/30/2008)

By susanmajp

Tablet with Water Damage
Repairing Water Damage in Electronics
Home and Garden Repair Electronics (Small) CellphonesFebruary 13, 2011
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
An electrical cord plugged into an outlet.
Finding Replacement Cords for Electronics
Smart Phone with large drops of water on and around it
Saving a Cellphone That Got Wet
🎉
🎄