Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Salsa That is Too Vinegary

My salsa recipe that I have used for years is all of a sudden having a very, strong vinegar taste. I have always used vinegar. It is now uneatable.

By Shirley from Gainesville, FL

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Suntydt [75]12/31/2010

It could be the salsa wasn't sealed well or the area in which it was stored. Hard to say really. Did you use a different type of vinegar?

By Shirley Oppelt [1]12/31/2010

Thanks all. Those are some good tips. But does anyone know why this happened. I knew immediately before opening there was a problem because of the white foam at the bottom.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Salsa That is Too Vinegary

Last year I canned salsa, but most of it ended up too vinagery. Does anyone have an idea on how to take away the vinegar taste. I have about 30 pints that I hate to throw out, but my family won't eat it, and I don't blame them!

Thanks!
Dawn from IN

RE: Salsa That is Too Vinegary

Since canned salsa is good for 2 - 3 years, why not make salsa this year and mix one of each jar together when you want salsa in order to dilute last year's batch and make good use of it?

I have also used salsa in pasta recipes. See if you could use some up that way. For example, try salsa mixed with macaroni and melted cheese on top. (05/19/2005)

By valleyrimgirl

RE: Salsa That is Too Vinegary

Try baking with it. Add it to meatloaf or some kind of a Mexican dish that calls for salsa. Mixed with other things, it should tone down the taste. I have added sugar to the mixture while still cooking to take the vinegar away, but I don't know about after it has been canned. Try a jar by mixing sugar and tomato sauce with it before you throw the whole batch out. (Or maybe can another batch without vinegar and mix two jars together to get the right taste before serving). (05/19/2005)

RE: Salsa That is Too Vinegary

Have you tried adding very small amounts of brown sugar to it? Go at 1/4 teaspoon at a time and taste. The sugar will cut down on the acidic taste of vinegar. (05/19/2005)

By Suzanne S.

RE: Salsa That is Too Vinegary

Could you not drain some of the juice out of it when getting ready to serve or cook with it and add a little sugar to it? I've used salsa to make Spanish rice, veggie gumbo, in with Hamburger Helper, and in enchiladas. Best of luck, I know how disappointed you must be to have gone to all that work and for it to have turned out that way. (05/20/2005)

By badwater

RE: Salsa That is Too Vinegary

Add one fourth cup white sugar and reboil the pint jar. The sugar should cut down on the vinegar. Plus you might add some hot peppers, that is really good. That it is how I do mine. (05/20/2005)

By Tina

RE: Salsa That is Too Vinegary

Instead of re-canning all of those jars, when you get ready to use each one, add a little sugar or lemon or lime juice to it. You can also add corn, black beans, or kidney beans, and onion to make a chunky salsa. You could also add a can of diced tomatoes. (05/20/2005)

By Princess Frogee