Fixing Salsa That is Too Vinegary

Category Food Fixes
When recipes come out wrong, there are often ways to fix the problems. This is a guide about fixing salsa that is too vinegary.

My salsa recipe that I have used for years is all of a sudden having a very, strong vinegar taste. I have always used vinegar. It is now uneatable.

By Shirley from Gainesville, FL

Answers

Best Answer

Thanks all. Those are some good tips. But does anyone know why this happened. I knew immediately before opening there was a problem because of the white foam at the bottom.

Best Answer

It could be the salsa wasn't sealed well or the area in which it was stored. Hard to say really. Did you use a different type of vinegar?

What can I do about to much strong vinegar taste in my salsa?

Answers

Anonymous

Try draining some of the vinegar out and add in some sugar.

Try to drain out some of the vinegar and add in some sugar.

Make more salsa and just do not add vinegar.If you can add a little bit of sugar too combat the vinegar.

Put a pinch of baking soda to neutralize.

Lots of people say to use baking soda but I can then taste the baking soda (that's me). I would suggest pouring off as much vinegar as possible (you can even save the vinegar mixture to use next time) and add any other ingredients that you have on hand to balance it out - keep tasting it till the sour taste is gone. Adding a little sugar may help also.

if you want to try the baking soda just do a pinch at a time and mix well before tasting and until bubbling stops. It may take several times.

I make a lot of salsa here for me. There are two ways that I make salsa for me. One is in the blender where I mix all ingredients together and the other is cut up and put in a bowl.

If you made yours in the blender, you will need to add more tomatoes and onions. You can use green tomatoes this time if you have them. Add a small amount of sugar to start. You might need to add one more chile to the mixture. Also add a bit more salt and pepper.

If you cut up your ingredients and they are mixed in a bowl for chunky salsa you can pour out some of the vinegar that is in your bowl. Add a bit of sugar and a little salt and pepper to start with. Adjust the sugar to your mixture. You don't want to make it too sweet. In this case just add a few more cut up tomatoes to your mixture and 1/2 a chile pepper. This should work for you.

You can also change the taste of your salsa and stop the vinegar taste by adding a papaya to your salsa. Papaya in salsa is excellent and the sweetness of the papaya gets rid of the vinegar taste.

I always add as much of the other ingredients as possible and if there arent any, I add sugar.

Just add a little white sugar. It will cancel the vinegar out some.

Last year I canned salsa, but most of it ended up too vinagery. Does anyone have an idea on how to take away the vinegar taste. I have about 30 pints that I hate to throw out, but my family won't eat it, and I don't blame them!

Thanks!
Dawn from IN

Answers:

Salsa That is Too Vinegary

Since canned salsa is good for 2 - 3 years, why not make salsa this year and mix one of each jar together when you want salsa in order to dilute last year's batch and make good use of it?

I have also used salsa in pasta recipes. See if you could use some up that way. For example, try salsa mixed with macaroni and melted cheese on top. (05/19/2005)

By valleyrimgirl

Salsa That is Too Vinegary

Try baking with it. Add it to meatloaf or some kind of a Mexican dish that calls for salsa. Mixed with other things, it should tone down the taste. I have added sugar to the mixture while still cooking to take the vinegar away, but I don't know about after it has been canned. Try a jar by mixing sugar and tomato sauce with it before you throw the whole batch out. (Or maybe can another batch without vinegar and mix two jars together to get the right taste before serving). (05/19/2005)

Salsa That is Too Vinegary

Have you tried adding very small amounts of brown sugar to it? Go at 1/4 teaspoon at a time and taste. The sugar will cut down on the acidic taste of vinegar. (05/19/2005)

By Suzanne S.

Salsa That is Too Vinegary

Could you not drain some of the juice out of it when getting ready to serve or cook with it and add a little sugar to it?

I've used salsa to make Spanish rice, veggie gumbo, in with Hamburger Helper, and in enchiladas.

Best of luck, I know how disappointed you must be to have gone to all that work and for it to have turned out that way. (05/20/2005)

By badwater

Salsa That is Too Vinegary

Add one fourth cup white sugar and reboil the pint jar. The sugar should cut down on the vinegar. Plus you might add some hot peppers, that is really good. That it is how I do mine.
(05/20/2005)

By Tina

Salsa That is Too Vinegary

Instead of re-canning all of those jars, when you get ready to use each one, add a little sugar or lemon or lime juice to it. You can also add corn, black beans, or kidney beans, and onion to make a chunky salsa. You could also add a can of diced tomatoes. (05/20/2005)

By Princess Frogee