Covered Cardboard Boxes for Craft Storage

A great way to make storage for scrapbook paper and magazines is to reuse shipping boxes and boxes from kitty litter etc. to make storage containers. While searching the internet, I came across a blog where someone had step-by-step instructions for making a fabric covered box.

Instead of hot glue, I mixed some Elmer's glue with a little water (per the tip from another ThriftyFun member) and painted the box with it and attached the fabric. After drying, it was ready to use.

I changed the covering on the last ones I made; I covered them with used calendars from the previous year. Great way to recycle and saves my fabric for other projects. I used ModPodge to attach the calendar paper, but I assume glue would work also.

One word of caution; thin calendar pages do not work well; needs to be a little thicker, or it will wrinkle and pooch out in spots. Here is a link to the blog this kind person posted on the web. I am so appreciative to her for posting this. I am going to try using the spray-on adhesive to see if this works better for the thinner calendar pages.

Source: http://pinkandpolkadot.blogspot.com/

By hoptownracer1 from USA

Your idea of using spray adhesive is great. I use it quite a bit and keep an empty cardboard box in my craft room to put paper in it to spray. That way the spray doesn't get on other things. I have covered boxes with calendar pages, leftover wallpaper, scrapbook paper, wrapping paper and brown paper bags - depending on the use and decor of where I'm putting it. I agree thicker paper is easier to make smooth, but thin paper can work also with care and patience, which is usually in short supply. lol

Organizing CraftsFebruary 16, 2010
Making Cardboard Box Playhouses
Making Cardboard Box Playhouses
Decorative Cardboard Box
Making Decorative Cardboard Boxes
Cigars in a Box
Uses for Cigar Boxes
Robot Costume made with cardboard boxes
Costume Ideas Using a Cardboard Box
🎄
🍂