Making Fabric Covered Storage Boxes

Category Decorations
These cute fabric covered boxes help keep things organized and could be given as gifts. This is a page about making fabric covered storage boxes.

These make nice storage boxes for cotton wool, hairbands, etc.

Approximate Time: Approximately 1 hour

Instructions:

1. Cut 5 squares of card, for this box I used 5" squares, but you can make them any size you wish. I tend to do a set of 3 boxes in graduating sizes.

2. Cut material into a cross shape allowing 1/4" seam allowance.

3. Cut ribbon into 8 equal lengths and tuck inside the 2 pieces of material, with the long end inside.

4. Sew around all sides leaving one side open.

5. Turn piece out ensuring corners are pushed out.

6. Insert a piece of card into each square and then close gap with small stitches.

7. Bring each side up and tie ribbons to make a box.

By Sue from Bristol, UK

I do a lot of morning planning from my table, sitting down with coffee, paper and pen, phone, etc. I was always searching for the perfect trash can.

Under the table didn't work as I kept kicking it. Getting up every few minutes didn't work either.

So today, I found the perfect box and decided to spend a bit of time making it uniquely my sunflower kitchen colors!!

Total Time: 90 minutes

Yield: 1

• 1 box of your choice
  • 10 strips of fabric
  • hot glue gun and 4 sticks
  • 1/4 cup home made Mod podge
  • brush
  • scissors

1. When you choose your box, you have a choice to make on how much you wrap around. I didn't do both sides as I knew I wouldn't have enough fabric. So I just did the front and sides. I did wrap all of the way around the top.
  2. Once you glue the first strip, wrap and glue every 6" or so, and especially on the corners. Once the fabric stretches, it will sag once the glue has cooled. Also make sure the inside is covered at least 1".
  3. Once the strips are on, you can cover with some mod podge. I make my own with 1 c. of glue and 1/3 c. of water. Shake each time before you use it or you will get water first and glue last. Remember this is a paper box. Plastic would be more durable and you can be a little less "particular".
  4. Once the glue has dried, you can then put the box to good use. I eat where I work, so sometimes I have something to toss that might not be suitable for a paper box. For that, I put in a plastic coffee tub and used the rest for paper and recycling things. It's now the best of both worlds. N-JOY!!

You can easily reuse boxes as decor storage boxes for your shelf with an old sweater. Open the sweater and put your box into the sweater.

Then wrap the arms into a knot and you have a storage box ready to use.

A completed decorated storage box.

Videos

These fabric covered boxes make great gifts filled with treats. Watch this video and learn how easy it is to make them.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I'd like to know how to make a cloth basket using old clothes and material scraps. I have everything from basic fabrics to jeans to sweaters to use.

Baskets can be so expensive, so I'd love to make my own. I'm looking especially for rectangular baskets (so I can stack them a bit). Easy/beginner level if at all possible.

Thanks!

Elle

Answers

To make a folding basket (one that stores flat, but pops up when you need it by tying ribbons at the corners) -

1. Figure out the dimensions you want. You said you want rectangular baskets, so find a box (shoebox?) that is the size you want, and open it up flat. This will become your pattern. You can adjust as needed.

2. Cut 2 pieces of fabric the total size of the box (bottom, sides and ends)

3. Cut some cardboard or funfoam the size of the bottom, and each of the sides (5 pieces total). they shoudl be a littel bit smaller than the sides.

4. Cut some flannel, batting, or towel to go in the middle to give it a little body.

5. Layer all these things together lke a sandwich - outside fabric, cardboard/foam, flannel/batting, inside of the basket fabric. Pin everything together around the outside, and along where the box will "fold" being sure there is no cardboard/foam underneat the folds.

6. Stitch all these seams (will look almost like tic tac toe with a box around it.

7. Cut ribbon that you like into pieces about 6 inches long, and stitch them diagonally at the corners (about 1/2 inch from the tip of the corner.

8. Use bias tape, and sew it all around the outside.

Tie up your corners, and you have a basket!

If you use the fun foam, you can wash it, but don't put them in the dryer. If you use cardboard, don't wash it. I have also used needlepoint canvas for the inside, but it is bulky.

Start with a sturdy recycled food box such as a granola bar container and then wrap with jute and line with pretty fabric to create this fun recycled container. This page shows how to make a fabric and jute covered recycled box.

Fabric Covered Recycled Box - bottles of nail polish in box

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Crafts Home Decor DecorationsMay 27, 2014
🎄
🎉

Generated 2019-12-13 13:36:38 in 1 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️