Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Approximate Time: Approximately 1 hour
By Sue from Bristol, UK
You can easily reuse boxes as decor storage boxes for your shelf with an old sweater. Open the sweater and put your box into the sweater. Then wrap the arms into a knot and you have a storage box ready to use.
These fabric covered boxes make great gifts filled with treats. Watch this video and learn how easy it is to make them.
Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.
I'd like to know how to make a cloth basket using old clothes and material scraps. I have everything from basic fabrics to jeans to sweaters to use.
To make a folding basket (one that stores flat, but pops up when you need it by tying ribbons at the corners) -
1. Figure out the dimensions you want. You said you want rectangular baskets, so find a box (shoebox?) that is the size you want, and open it up flat. This will become your pattern. You can adjust as needed.
2. Cut 2 pieces of fabric the total size of the box (bottom, sides and ends)
3. Cut some cardboard or funfoam the size of the bottom, and each of the sides (5 pieces total). they shoudl be a littel bit smaller than the sides.
4. Cut some flannel, batting, or towel to go in the middle to give it a little body.
5. Layer all these things together lke a sandwich - outside fabric, cardboard/foam, flannel/batting, inside of the basket fabric.
6. Stitch all these seams (will look almost like tic tac toe with a box around it.
7. Cut ribbon that you like into pieces about 6 inches long, and stitch them diagonally at the corners (about 1/2 inch from the tip of the corner.
8. Use bias tape, and sew it all around the outside.
Tie up your corners, and you have a basket!
If you use the fun foam, you can wash it, but don't put them in the dryer. If you use cardboard, don't wash it. I have also used needlepoint canvas for the inside, but it is bulky.