Feeding a Dog Ice Cream

By syntoniser 5 56

Is it okay to give my dog ice cream? When we're out driving in the summer and stop for a cool treat my husband insists we get one for the dog as well. Of course, she loves it, but I don't want to give her something that I shouldn't. Is there too much fat, too much sugar, what? Would moderation be the key?

By Jean from Canada

Showing: Answers Sort

By Joan 13 1,479 Flag

We have had two different Chinese Pugs, at different times, they were both given to us as adult dogs, and they just plain refused to eat any form of dog food. They wouldn't eat meat without ketchup on it. Vanilla ice cream wasn't eaten without chocolate syrup on it. They could tell the difference between real M&Ms, and the cheaper brand. They lived to ripe old ages.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Robin Harrison 80 Flag

A few licks out of your bowl when you are finished is ok but don't give her any huge amount. Do you know that they make a special doggy ice cream? It is called Frosty Paws and should be available at your grocery store - I know here in CA that Ralphs and Albersons carry it. Ask your grocer about it. Here is a link to their website: http://www.frostypawstreats.com/frostypaws/default.aspx?tabid=37

my dogs love it!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

A little lick or bite or two is probably okay once in awhile but please keep in mind the size, weight and age of your baby and that pets can get diabetes too :-( Perhaps you can ask for some ice or cold water as a treat to cool your baby down instead?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Julia 147 1,074 Flag

One of my first jobs as a teenager back in the

early 1950's was working for a Dairy Queen. I lived

in Florida, and you know how hot it can get in July

and August in our state.

My boss made a practice of "giving" anyone's

doggie a small cone with just a little bit of

vanilla soft ice-cream when their humans

came with them. Even back then, we were not the

only place in town who sold soft ice-ceam, but I'll

bet you all the tea in China that we were always

the busiest. Every dog in town knew us, I think.

The owner and his wife were animal lovers, and they

knew how much a little treat meant to other people's

pets. They prospered wonderfully well and deserved

every bit of it. Wonderful people.

I would not hestitate to give my dog a cone with

a little taste of vanilla ice-cream today if I had a

dog. We give it to our Boxer GrandDoggie and she is as healthy as can be and she adores her old

Grandpa and Grandma...LOL

We do have a kitty (Sir Catty-Kit) who insists on

having a "bite"...and he gets it too. Very little as

I think it might upset his stomach. I know kitties

are suppposed to love milk and cream, but have

been told not to give it to them now. I wonder why.

Have a great day

Julia in Boca Raton

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By syntoniser 5 56 Flag

Thanks folks for all the great feedback. To Julia: Our doggie always gets the treat of soft ice cream when we go to Dairy Queen, they offer a dog biscuit but we buy her an ice cream lol. I had a cat who could not tolerate dairy products, it caused bowel problems and surgery. I grew up on a farm where the cats drank all the milk they wanted, but I do not feed any dairy to mine now just in case.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Marg 16 435 Flag

We always bought our dog an ice-lolly. Just one thing; watch out for wasps!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

Hi Pookarina Julia,

Believe it or not, cats are lactose intolerant once they have been weened. I do give my Rachel a measured teaspoon of plain cream cheese every morning because it keeps her from having fur balls, but other than that I only let her lick my ice cream bowls. I don't eat ice cream very often so she really loves that extra treat. ;-)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By jeannie 9 Flag

No most dogs should not have that much dairy product at one time. Always check with your vet. You could prob call one. Jeannie

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Vin 7 9 Flag

Dogs love ice cream. Our dog, a golden retriever, waits patiently for her ice cream every night. She doesn't know it, but we switched to fat free yogurt or fat free sherbet years ago. Just a couple of teaspoonfuls makes her happy.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 4:32:12 PM on 10.0.1.40 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.