Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

How do I clean those white plastic out door chairs? Mine are all dingy and I want to know if anyone has painted theirs with any luck? Except for how hard they are to keep clean, they are in good condition. I have literally scrubbed mine too many times. Help, please.

By myneurotica from Topeka

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By merry woods [2]09/18/2009

Have you got a chlorine swimming pool? Maybe a good friend has? If you have, drop your dirty white furniture in (no leaves etc) and leave for a while. The chlorine bleaches them beautifully back to white.

By Heather Krucker [10]09/10/2009

We drilled three small holes in the seat (triangular shape) so that the rain water would drain. Now I no longer have to constantly clean the seats.

By Amy Crowley [1]09/09/2009

You can use the erasers, or scrub with sudsy pine sol water, but if you paint them, you must get paint just for plastic.

By marisa [3]09/08/2009

I have used a magic eraser on mine and everything else too. I also have painted them but they just aren't the same. Much luck to you.

Here are questions related to Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture.

Question: Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Chairs

I have plastic outdoor chairs that get quite dirty after setting out all the time, especially through the winter months. I have tried all kinds of cleaners, but nothing I have used cuts the dirt.

I would appreciate any help on how to remove this build in dirt.

By Bill C.

Most Recent Answer

By Carol L Craig [17]06/10/2011

Wesley's Bleche White is the best! You can find it in the automotive department at Walmart-it is less than $3.00 per bottle and it takes the grime right off of those chairs. It is actually made for whitewall tires so you know it is going to work. I even used it to clean some old bricks that I got from a neighbor and they looked brand new afterwards. Spray it on, wait about 5 minutes and wipe it off with a sponge. Then rinse with water and let the sun dry the chairs.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I have several of the plastic outside stackable chairs. Over the years they've gotten "dirty" looking even though they are not dirty. Any tips on cleaning these to get them back to looking nice? Mine are white or an off white color.

Carol from Anderson, IN

RE: Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

Try a Magic Eraser. Worked like a charm on my outdoor plastic furniture. (08/11/2006)

By Mary

RE: Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I hope this helps you. I used "Scrub Free" on my plastic furniture and it came out great. I rinsed it first then applied the Scrub Free to a brush and scrubbed. They came out really nice. Have a good day. Sherri (08/11/2006)

By Sherri

RE: Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

If you can't get the yuck off, there are a lot of new paints just for plastic and they come in great colors. Depending on the quality of the chairs it may be cheaper to buy new than a lot of spray paint. But if cost isn't a problem and you really like the chairs I'd paint them. I have as much of a problem throwing out perfectly good stuff too.

Keep in mind that outdoor chairs are subject to the same kind of molds and oxidation cars parked outside are. Ask at the auto parts store what the campers are cleaned with. They sit in parks all summer and get tree sap and mold all over them. It's a different kind of plastic, but it may be worth the try. (08/11/2006)

By Carla B.

RE: Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I had the same problem with some chairs that I had and didn't know what to use so I took the chair out in the sun, washed it to make sure that it was as clean as I could get it with just some dish soap and water then sprayed it with some bleach water that I mixed in a spray bottle. I put a little more bleach in it than I usually would and just sprayed the heck out of it. It worked like a charm. I left it in the sun for a while after I rinsed it off and it looks new. Hope this helps. (08/11/2006)

By Brenda

RE: Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I use Oxi-clean. It works. (08/14/2006)

RE: Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I washed with Dirtex first. Then sprayed with Lysol Tub and Tile cleaner. Brushed solution over chairs. Let set for five minutes. Sprayed with clear water. Good as new. (07/09/2007)

By Marsha