Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

How do I clean those white plastic out door chairs? Mine are all dingy and I want to know if anyone has painted theirs with any luck? Except for how hard they are to keep clean, they are in good condition. I have literally scrubbed mine too many times. Help, please.

By myneurotica from Topeka

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I have used a magic eraser on mine and everything else too. I also have painted them but they just aren't the same. Much luck to you.

You can use the erasers, or scrub with sudsy pine sol water, but if you paint them, you must get paint just for plastic.

We drilled three small holes in the seat (triangular shape) so that the rain water would drain. Now I no longer have to constantly clean the seats.

Have you got a chlorine swimming pool? Maybe a good friend has? If you have, drop your dirty white furniture in (no leaves etc) and leave for a while. The chlorine bleaches them beautifully back to white.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

May 20, 2011 Flag

I have plastic outdoor chairs that get quite dirty after setting out all the time, especially through the winter months. I have tried all kinds of cleaners, but nothing I have used cuts the dirt.

I would appreciate any help on how to remove this build in dirt.

By Bill C.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree with Keeper. Krylon (for plastic) spray paints are great. They come in a variety of colors and are an inexpensive way to give plastic chairs new life. I do suggest that you wash them first in a bleach bath to kill of any mold or mildew. I use a exfoliating loofah scrub for scrubbing so there is less chance of scratching the plastic and with the detachable shower head it makes rinsing a breeze. Good Luck. And if you do go the Krylon way, send pics!

I use a pressure washer on mine.

I just spray mine down with a watered down clorox mixture , let them sit a few minutes, then scrub them with a scrub pad and rinse off with water hose.

Wesley's Bleche White is the best! You can find it in the automotive department at Walmart-it is less than $3.00 per bottle and it takes the grime right off of those chairs. It is actually made for whitewall tires so you know it is going to work. I even used it to clean some old bricks that I got from a neighbor and they looked brand new afterwards. Spray it on, wait about 5 minutes and wipe it off with a sponge. Then rinse with water and let the sun dry the chairs.

Read More Answers...

September 7, 2009 Flag

I have several of the plastic outside stackable chairs. Over the years they've gotten "dirty" looking even though they are not dirty. Any tips on cleaning these to get them back to looking nice? Mine are white or an off white color.

Carol from Anderson, IN

Answers:

Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

Try a Magic Eraser. Worked like a charm on my outdoor plastic furniture. (08/11/2006)

By Mary

Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I hope this helps you. I used "Scrub Free" on my plastic furniture and it came out great. I rinsed it first then applied the Scrub Free to a brush and scrubbed. They came out really nice.

Have a good day.
Sherri (08/11/2006)

By Sherri

Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

If you can't get the yuck off, there are a lot of new paints just for plastic and they come in great colors. Depending on the quality of the chairs it may be cheaper to buy new than a lot of spray paint. But if cost isn't a problem and you really like the chairs I'd paint them. I have as much of a problem throwing out perfectly good stuff too.

Keep in mind that outdoor chairs are subject to the same kind of molds and oxidation cars parked outside are. Ask at the auto parts store what the campers are cleaned with. They sit in parks all summer and get tree sap and mold all over them. It's a different kind of plastic, but it may be worth the try. (08/11/2006)

By Carla B.

Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I had the same problem with some chairs that I had and didn't know what to use so I took the chair out in the sun, washed it to make sure that it was as clean as I could get it with just some dish soap and water then sprayed it with some bleach water that I mixed in a spray bottle. I put a little more bleach in it than I usually would and just sprayed the heck out of it. It worked like a charm. I left it in the sun for a while after I rinsed it off and it looks new. Hope this helps. (08/11/2006)

By Brenda

Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I use Oxi-clean. It works.

(08/14/2006)

Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I washed with Dirtex first. Then sprayed with Lysol Tub and Tile cleaner. Brushed solution over chairs. Let set for five minutes. Sprayed with clear water. Good as new. (07/09/2007)

By Marsha

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureSeptember 7, 2009
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Hand holding a smoking cigarette.
Cleaning Nicotine from Wood Furniture
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 9:40:02 AM on 10.0.2.180 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.