Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

By laurenmonsey 3 13

How do I clean those white plastic out door chairs? Mine are all dingy and I want to know if anyone has painted theirs with any luck? Except for how hard they are to keep clean, they are in good condition. I have literally scrubbed mine too many times. Help, please.

By myneurotica from Topeka

Filter Sort

By marisa 3 53 Flag

I have used a magic eraser on mine and everything else too. I also have painted them but they just aren't the same. Much luck to you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Amy Crowley 3 57 Flag

You can use the erasers, or scrub with sudsy pine sol water, but if you paint them, you must get paint just for plastic.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Heather Krucker 10 282 Flag

We drilled three small holes in the seat (triangular shape) so that the rain water would drain. Now I no longer have to constantly clean the seats.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By merry woods 1 48 Flag

Have you got a chlorine swimming pool? Maybe a good friend has? If you have, drop your dirty white furniture in (no leaves etc) and leave for a while. The chlorine bleaches them beautifully back to white.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Question: Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Chairs

I have plastic outdoor chairs that get quite dirty after setting out all the time, especially through the winter months. I have tried all kinds of cleaners, but nothing I have used cuts the dirt.

I would appreciate any help on how to remove this build in dirt.

By Bill C.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Carol L Craig 21 71 Flag

Wesley's Bleche White is the best! You can find it in the automotive department at Walmart-it is less than $3.00 per bottle and it takes the grime right off of those chairs. It is actually made for whitewall tires so you know it is going to work. I even used it to clean some old bricks that I got from a neighbor and they looked brand new afterwards. Spray it on, wait about 5 minutes and wipe it off with a sponge. Then rinse with water and let the sun dry the chairs.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I have several of the plastic outside stackable chairs. Over the years they've gotten "dirty" looking even though they are not dirty. Any tips on cleaning these to get them back to looking nice? Mine are white or an off white color.

Carol from Anderson, IN

Feedback:

RE: Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

Try a Magic Eraser. Worked like a charm on my outdoor plastic furniture. (08/11/2006)

By Mary

RE: Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I hope this helps you. I used "Scrub Free" on my plastic furniture and it came out great. I rinsed it first then applied the Scrub Free to a brush and scrubbed. They came out really nice.

Have a good day.
Sherri (08/11/2006)

By Sherri

RE: Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

If you can't get the yuck off, there are a lot of new paints just for plastic and they come in great colors. Depending on the quality of the chairs it may be cheaper to buy new than a lot of spray paint. But if cost isn't a problem and you really like the chairs I'd paint them. I have as much of a problem throwing out perfectly good stuff too.

Keep in mind that outdoor chairs are subject to the same kind of molds and oxidation cars parked outside are. Ask at the auto parts store what the campers are cleaned with. They sit in parks all summer and get tree sap and mold all over them. It's a different kind of plastic, but it may be worth the try. (08/11/2006)

By Carla B.

RE: Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I had the same problem with some chairs that I had and didn't know what to use so I took the chair out in the sun, washed it to make sure that it was as clean as I could get it with just some dish soap and water then sprayed it with some bleach water that I mixed in a spray bottle. I put a little more bleach in it than I usually would and just sprayed the heck out of it. It worked like a charm. I left it in the sun for a while after I rinsed it off and it looks new. Hope this helps. (08/11/2006)

By Brenda

RE: Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I use Oxi-clean. It works.

(08/14/2006)

RE: Cleaning Plastic Outdoor Furniture

I washed with Dirtex first. Then sprayed with Lysol Tub and Tile cleaner. Brushed solution over chairs. Let set for five minutes. Sprayed with clear water. Good as new. (07/09/2007)

By Marsha

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureSeptember 7, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Antique wood three drawer table and upholstered side chair.
Cleaning Antique Wood Furniture
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Hand holding a smoking cigarette.
Cleaning Nicotine from Wood Furniture
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 8:38:12 AM on 10.0.2.163 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsAnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings