Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Transplanting a Butterfly Weed Plant

0EmailPrintFollowSave

How do you transplant a butterfly weed plant? I would like to transplant one that is overgrown to a new area. Is it possible? These are plants that have orange flowers in the summer.

By Linda from Brighton, MI

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Myrna 16 1,082 06/23/2010 Flag

There are new shoots that come up each spring; transplant those to a new area keeping enough soil around the root system so it takes off well. I attempted to transplant a large overgrown butterfly bush and it died...ended up getting another plant. The root system of older bush is deep and spreading; it wasn't easy for me to remove and lots of roots broke free from the plant. If you decide to try removing the older bush, make sure you have lots of dirt surrounding the roots when lifted from its original location.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By susan 33 441 06/25/2010 Flag

If you are talking about butterfly weed and not butterfly bushes then this plant produces a very deep taproot making transplanting difficult once established. Try some cuttings that should do it. Good luck:)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Linda Delcamp 48 19 06/27/2010 Flag

How do you start cuttings from the plant and what time of year?

Linda Zone 5-a

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes