Will Toothpaste Scratch Marble Sink?

If I brush my teeth over my marble sink will the toothpaste scratch it?

Janet from Benton, AR

Toothpaste is a very fine abrasive; I wouldn't recommend rubbing it harshly for removal. For cleaning/shining your Marble, I'd recommend "Gel Gloss"; it comes in a 'purple' can and can usually be found in a decent hardware dept....the marble will look better than brand new :)

http://trindustries.com/store/catal ... info.php?cPath=21&products_id=35

Yes it could as toothpaste is an abrasive. Try rubbing the toothpaste on something hard and with a high gloss and see the results. It also has some stain qualities so it could also stain the marble if not wiped up.

It has never bothered our vanity.

Marble is even used on floors in heavy traffic areas, as well as on tombstones, so it is tougher than you think. If it were that soft, it would not be used for those applications. The rocks and such that are on a persons shoes are often more abrasive and our marble flooring is fine--and its the same marble.

Are you brushing your teeth or the sink? If you are just brushing your teeth and washing it down the sink, you're fine!

Consumer Advice General AdviceApril 11, 2008
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
A marble spa tub and floor in a beautiful bathroom.
Cleaning a Marble Floor
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink
Closeup of pink marble slab.
Removing Stains from Marble