Removing Hard Water Deposits from Faucets - Categories:

BathroomCleaning

Removing Hard Water Deposits from Faucets

My kitchen chrome faucet is stained with white marks, like drips or something. The metal polish cleans the chrome, but does not remove the spots. I tried baking soda, vinegar, and steel wool. No luck. Can someone help?

By Sue from Deptford, NJ

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I think these would be hard water deposits. Have you used vinegar by itself? Try it. It should just dissolve these stains. No scrubbing should be necessary. You may have to soak a paper towel in vinegar and wrap it around the faucet and let it soak the deposits for a few minutes.

A poster below suggested using a magic eraser to remove hard water spots. I just tried it on my axor hansgrohe shower fixtures and the magic eraser easily removed spots. It works!

Try Lemi Shine or powedered Lemon aid. The Lemi Shine is straight citric acid and for some reason works great on hard water spots. The lemon aid works ok too, but it's not as strong.

Today I used NOXON 7 to remove hard water/soap scum deposits from high-end Grohe polished brass bathroom fixtures. Works like as charm!! We have extremely hard water with iron/sulphur content. The water softener has not eliminated the spots on shower fixtures. I tried everything advertised, along with home remedy solutions. NOXON 7 was the ONLY product to removes the spots, and leave the brass finish gleaming! Minimal effort, easy to use, affordable.

A washcloth and WD-40 works very well. Remove the WD-40 with Formula 409 and add a light coat of car wax.

June 27, 2016 Flag

I saw this tip in a video on the internet and had a chance to try it out on an old faucet that had years of calcium buildup on it.

White Vinegar to Remove Calcium Deposits

To remove calcium deposits on a faucet, wrap a cloth or small towel, that is soaked with white vinegar, around the faucet and let it sit for several hours. It will remove most of the calcium deposit. Afterwards, scrub with steel wool or a scrubbing pad to remove any that remains.

In this case, I wrapped the vinegar soaked towel around the faucet and poured more vinegar on the towel and let it sit over night. I was surprised at the results when I removed the towel.

I didn't have time to do any scrubbing with steel wool, but you can tell the difference just by looking at the photos that the white vinegar removed most of the calcium deposit.

I really didn't think it was going to work and I was so amazed at the results that I didn't think to take a picture of the towel on the faucet.

after soaking with vinegar on cloth
    Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 29, 2011 Flag

How do you get hard water stains off a faucet?

By Kathy from Fullerton, NE

Answers:

Try soaking a rag or paper towel in just vinegar, and cover the hard water deposits with it. I usually wrap it around the faucet base where I find the deposits. Let set for 2-3 hrs, rewetting with vinegar if needed. Then clean as usual. Works for me. (05/20/2010)

By Omanana

May 20, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know how to remove calcium water marks on polished brass shower doors and faucets? I don't want to ruin the finish, as I am sure you can understand. They have so many little spots on them because people would not wipe them dry after showering. Thanks so much.

By Tilly007 from Carlisle, PA

Answers:

I don't know about brass, but we use cider vinegar to clean our stainless steel sink surround. Maybe malt vinegar would work equally well. (03/14/2010)

By dumb0

Have you seen CLR on the store shelves? It stands for calcium, lime, and rust. I use this sometimes. Vinegar will work for most faucet stains, also. (03/15/2010)

By MartyD

Just put a paper towel or washrag on the offending faucet and pour vinegar over it. Let it sit a while and it should begin to loosen and come off. May take a couple of tries. (03/18/2010)

By HalfWhit

You can use a metal cleaner approved for polished brass. Brasso or Flitz. You may get some protection against buildup with these products. (03/18/2010)

By Lizzyanny

March 14, 2010 Flag

For hard water spots vinegar is often recommended because it works. I've taken this a step further. I mix 2 Tbsp. of cornstarch to about a 1/4 cup of water. I then add about 1/2 cup of vinegar and bring just to a boil.

While still hot, I pour this mixture into a wide mouthed mason jar. This will thicken and will stay put on faucets much longer than just vinegar water, which runs right off.

Saddlebag from Vermilion Bay, ON

Answers:

Removing Hard Water Deposits From Faucets

Fine steel wool (Home Depot) cleans off the calcium and shines the faucet. (05/04/2009)

By Anonymous

May 4, 2009 Flag

Stubborn hard-water stain on my chrome faucets. Any ideas? I tried a rag soaked heavily in white vinegar for hours, no effect at all. Won't even scrape off with a plastic knife. How can I do the fizz idea given for showerheads with this faucet base? Thanks!

Kim from Moses Lake WA

Answers:

Remove Hard Water Deposits From Faucets

I have well water and very bad rust stains I use The Works Tub and Shower Cleaner. All the rust stains come right off. The smell isn't nice but it gets the job done. Be sure to rinse well after use.

Have a great day! (06/26/2007)

By mommy8532

Remove Hard Water Deposits From Faucets

We have a water softener, but because we're on well water we still have some hard water stains on our faucets. We've tried it all, from baking soda to store bought 'solutions'. None of them worked.

We now use Turtle Wax Rubbing and Polishing Compound. It's easy, it's inexpensive, relatively safe, and there's no odor. We even use the polishing compound to polish the laminate countertops, and the Corian (was actually recommended for the Corian). (06/26/2007)

By Anonymous

Remove Hard Water Deposits From Faucets

Try a product called Bar Keepers Friend. I have never used the powder, but I love the liquid. I don't even buy kitchen or bathroom cleaners anymore. This works so well! (06/27/2007)

By Heather

Remove Hard Water Deposits From Faucets

Try using a Magic Eraser. I get the ones at the Dollar store 2/$1. Removing soap scum from chrome is the thing they do best! We have very hard water and a lot of soap scum. I was amazed how well it cleaned my faucets and chrome trim. (07/23/2007)

By Joy

Remove Hard Water Deposits From Faucets

Try Bring-It-ON water spot remover. It's a paste that you wipe on, leave on for a few minutes to dissolve the minerals, and wipe off. Invented by a gal that got tired of trying things that didn't work!
    (09/04/2007)

By donrowlett

Remove Hard Water Deposits From Faucets

I use Comet or baking soda on my bath tub faucets. The Comet worked quicker and did not take as much "elbow grease" as the baking soda. (03/11/2008)

By brunyon

Remove Hard Water Deposits From Faucets

Or you can just install a filter that removes hard water sediment, sand, and soil deposits. (04/22/2008)

By Adrian

Remove Hard Water Deposits From Faucets

Thanks y'all, I'll try those, and thanks for the caution on vinegar damage! --Kim (06/26/2007)

By kimhis

June 26, 2007 Flag

To remove vinegar deposits that accumulate on faucets from hard water, fill a bag with vinegar and tie the bag to the faucet.

Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomJanuary 29, 2011
    Plumber fixing a leaky faucet.
    Fixing Leaky Faucets
    A clean bathroom faucet.
    Cleaning Bathroom Fixtures
    Water Softener
    Buying a Water Softener
    Water Heater
    Removing Calcium Deposits in a Water Heater
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 29, 2016 at 5:05:22 AM on 10.0.1.129 in 846 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.