Supermarket Mistakes

Watch the display screen at the register as your groceries are being rung up. If you are overcharged, speak up. Before you leave the store double check the receipt and make sure that the prices were correct. If you catch the mistake before you leave the store you can quickly get a remedy at the service desk. The majority of all mistakes are not in your favor.

At my supermarket, if I am overcharged (and I catch it) they send me to the service desk where they refund me the total price of the item.

It really does pay to check your receipt. When I purchased my Thanksgiving Turkey last year, they had run out of the brand on sale, but had substituted another brand. I checked before I left the store to make sure that I got the sale price. I not only did not get the sale price, but they rang the $14.00 turkey up twice. I took it to the service desk and they refunded the overcharge. My husband and I normally shop together, and he puts things on the belt and I watch the register display to catch any errors. Also, if you use the self checkouts that are being used more and more, be sure if you pay with a credit or debit card that it is yours. I had an instance where someone else's card did not clear, and it put my groceries on their card. The only reason I realized it was because the machine was spitting out the receipt before I finished putting my card information in the machine. These new techniques are very fast and convenient, but just be alert when using them.

Harlean from Arkansas

I caught what I thought was a mistake at our King Soopers (Kroger). The item I bought had a sign under it for $5.99 but rang up for $6.99. I pointed it out to the cashier and after checking the price not only did I get it for $5.99 but I got the second one free!

Hi,

You lucky ones in America, here in Cyprus you are very lucky, if you get a refund on the difference. But quite often it's being said, the price was just signed out wrongly and you can return the item and be refunded the price you paid but nothing else.

In Germany you also need to be careful as quite often any offers are not registered at the cashiers and you might end up paying the normal price. you would get a refund of the difference though in case you realize it, but usually nothing else. Customer service can be improved here still. Andreas Teich from Cyprus

Also, be sure of the store's policy on 'money back' issues. Some of these mega grocery stores do not give you back money - but credit slips! My Dad went to one when passing through a city and they wouldn't give him the couple dollars difference after charging him for bulk bbq nuts (when he bought dry roasted) but offered a credit slip. He did not get his money back until he wanted to press charges for theft! He never had shopped there before and will never again! He wondered how many folks never did get their money if they had to mess around with 'credit slips'!!

I am not sure if this is a store, state or federal rule/law but I remember one time an honest customer service employee told me about it.

One of my items was for .50 but rang up for 5.00 so I went to the service desk. Not only did I receive the 4.50 back but was also awarded a 3x the error difference :-)

If you can remember each price of each item! Everything is done by barcode now, I think it is unfair that each item doesn't have a price sticker on it FOR the customer. Humans CAN'T read barcodes!

I think it used to be - not sure if it still is - that if the product rang up at a lower price or there is a sign (they forgot to take down - say an item was on sale) they are supposed to give it to you for that price. I can't stand when I don't catch something rings in wrong (higher price) or 2x and I have to go back to the store to have it corrected.

In the UK. Asda supermarkets will often give you a £2 giftcard as well as refund what you have been overcharged, but it's at the discretion of the person on the desk; so be charming! You just take your receipt and item to customer services.

Check the expiration dates on the item. One time I was at a local large chain store. I was buying a well known name of peanut butter. I happened to check the "best if used by" date, it was out dated by 5 days. I check the rest of the jars but didn't find any other out dated items. CHECK the expiration date!

Looking at a grocery receipt.
Dealing With Mistakes at the Cash Register
Consumer Advice Shopping Grocery ShoppingFebruary 20, 2007
Blue Glitter Glue
Removing Glitter Glue from Clothes
Yellow Plastic Container on White Background
Uses for Plastic Packaging
Master gardener in a greenhouse.
Get Gardening Advice From a Master Gardener
bacon in a package
Freezing Bacon
🎉
🎄