Recycling Newspaper Throughout The House

Besides reading the newspaper, I find many uses for it around the house.

• Whenever we put a new trash bag in our kitchen trash can, we put a layer of the paper at the bottom. This will absorb any liquids that sometimes leak.

• To prevent trash odor in trash cans, I add a layer of newspaper as the trash fills. This is helpful when the trash is not quite full to empty out.

• When I peel hard boiled eggs or produce, I dry out the sink and line with a layer of newspaper. When the job is done, I gather up the paper, close it up and throw away. This will contain the odor for a short time.

• When I want to remove odors from containers, I use crumbled newspaper. Put the paper in the container with a tight lid. Leave it sealed for a few days. For large items, using a large trash bag, add the item and place sections of newspaper inside; tightly seal. After a few days, if the odor still remains, change the newspaper. There's no recipe for the amount of newspaper to use. I usually add according to the size of the object and the strength of the odor.

• Use it to wrap a gift. Get creative with some ribbon or other decorations to jazz it up. The comics make a colorful wrap.

• To have some indoor fun on a rainy day, and if the house rules permit. Ball up some newspaper and let the kids bat it around or have a "snowball" fight.

• I never have any problems with the ink coming off onto my hands as long as my hands are dry.

Newspapers have so many other uses. I always keep some on hand for whenever I need it.

Source: From over thirty years of experience being married with children.

By Mkymlp from NE PA

Reusing Newspaper? I was just asked the other day about this subject.

I rarely buy a newspaper anymore,so I have little experience in reusing them.

One thing Scrap booking

cutting out and saving articles for future generations.

I just found some old articles in my Grandmas pictures.

I have been told that shredded newspaper added to your garden soil is good for it.

I know of one person that adds it to her inside flower pots in little bits.

i remember many years ago we use to stick compressed newspaper in draft spots around our windows.

We also used newspaper to take the dampness from our wet shoes and boots.

Don't forget you fireplace people there is a way of making logs out of newspaper. some kind of machine you can buy.

Thinking back my mother would put newspaper on the floor right inside the kitchen door for us to put our wet cloths on. I guess that was before plastic lol I didn't know I was that old.

Well I gave you a few old ways to reuse newspaper. For once I could not come up with anything new. That is weird for me.

Good Luck To You, Mr. Thrifty

My mother uses newspaper to make small containers for seedlings. When the small plants are ready to set in the soil, she simply places the entire paper container (newsprint, dirt and bedding plant) directly into the ground. She does advise, however, that pages containing coloured ink not be used. Apparently those pages don't degrade and become part of the soil as quickly as simply black and white papers.

For those who recycle kitchen compost using worms (vermiculture) newspaper is a great medium for keeping the container from getting too soupy. The same is true for an outside compost bin.

Uses for Newspaper, Stack of Newspapers
Uses for Newspaper
Better Living Frugal Living TipsAugust 17, 2009
Plastic Newspaper Bag
Uses for Plastic Newspaper Bags
Recycled Paper Envelope Finished
Making Recycling Fun
Newspaper Nail Art
Newspaper Nail Art
Making Paper Bags From Newspaper
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 24, 2016 at 1:29:29 PM on in 953 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.