Removing Multiple Layers of Paint from Wood Work

How should I remove layers of old paint from wood before I repaint it?

By June W.

Stores have all kinds of products to strip paint off. No matter what you use, there is a certain amount of hard work involved.

Two choices. Use a paint stripper or sand old paint off with power tool. Either way use safety protection.

First you have to be careful if the painting was done when it still had lead in it. Especially be careful of sanding and especially if there are small children in your family. You can use paint stripper but it is best to do that outside. I know from experience. I tried to strip a piano in the house and even though I had a fan going, it was not enough. I started feeling kind of woozy and broke out in giant hives all over my body. Then, I wanted to sleep practically 20 hours a day for 3 days. I went on a antihistamine and that helped with the hives and the sleeping but after that my mind was screwed up. I was out of body for several days after, took a whole month to feel normal again. To make a long story short, I will never refinish anything inside again.

If using paint stripper cover in cling wrap after applying. Leave for about 20 minutes then peel away. This helped me remove 12 layers of paint. Know this because each one was a different color.

September 16, 2012 Flag

We have a home that was built in 1886. The woodwork and doors have at least 4 layers of paint. What is the best way to remove all this paint? Are there any homemade solutions that I could make?

By Debbie M.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You may have a problem with lead in the paint. Since about 1975 paint manufacturers have not used lead in their paints. You should have the paint tested for lead. If there is lead in the paint you will have to have a professional remove the paint. You can look this up on google.com.

Removing Old Paint From Wood
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJune 30, 2011
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Old wooden ladder leaning against a concrete wall with painted designs.
Removing Paint from Concrete
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors, Broken glass of red wine on wood floor.
Removing Red Wine Stains from Hardwood Floors
Stripping Painted Furniture
Stripping Painted Furniture
🎉
🎄