Keeping a Puppy Calm While Recovering from Heart Worms

My dog was treated for heart worms. I was told that he has to be kept 'quiet' for 6 weeks. He's a 1 year old active puppy who feels much better than he did and wants to run around. Suggestions for helping him to burn up that restless energy without permitting him to run around for more than 1 minute?

Holly from Richardson, TX

I was a vet assistant and they actually mean just not encouraging it to play really hard. Normal actions of your pup won't harm it. I have never heard of one a year old with heartworms. Kinda unusual.

Hi,

I would suggest using a crate and rotate toys in it frequently. Kong toys are great and they are hard rubber with a space in the middle that you can "stuff" with dog treats, cheese, hot dogs, and other tasty treats. Dogs love these and will spend tons of time and energy trying to chew out the treats. You can keep a few Kongs on hand and place the stuffed ones in the freezer for an added challenge.

You might check into other chewy type toys, as well as make things like chicken broth ice cubes for him to lick and chew.

Good luck,

Sheila

This one year old dog was a rescue. He had heart worm, hook worm and just keep on going down the list.

Hi Holly,

From what I understand, because of the severity of the treatment, they are supposed to be quiet. Have you checked with your Vet? Normally they are hospitalized for the duration of the treatment.

I've never heard of a one year old with heartworm either, poor pup, I'm so sorry, but please ask the doctor for advice.

Jennifer

Northern Virginia

Pets Dogs AdviceJanuary 10, 2008
Throw Pillows
Recovering Throw Pillows
Frightened Dog
Keeping Your Pet Calm During Thunderstorms
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Chihuahua Puppy
Treating a Puppy With Worms
🎉
🎄