Treating a Puppy With Worms

Category Health
Consult with your veterinarian about your puppy's health concerns. This guide is about treating a puppy with worms.

I have 6 month old Pit and she has had worms for most of her life. We have dewormed her a handful of times and it's not working. I wanted to know if there is anything I can give her at home that will help until I have the money for a vet? My dad told me to give her some beer and it worked for my other puppy, but not my 6 month old. Please help I don't wanna lose my baby :/

By Casey from Toledo, OH

Answers

Best Answer

Don't give your dogs alcohol. It can damage their kidneys and liver at fairly small doses. In larger amounts it is fatal. You can get wormer at the pet store, but only the Vets have the stuff that really works. Check with your local humane society for low cost Vet help.

I need a home remedy for puppies with little white worms. I can't afford a vet.

By Jewel from Billingsley, AL

Answers

Jewel, I'm sure you mean well, but dogs with worms need to be first diagnosed and treated by professional vets. I understand that money might be an issue, but you are doing them no favors by trying to treat them without vet care. If nothing else, please call around your area and ask if vets or animal shelters can help you with payment plans or grants. Your babies need your help . . . please search out sources than can help you help your puppies and not unproven home remedies. Good luck and best wishes.

I don't know much about dogs, but I know heart worms are fatal, and they're white. Go get some medical attention for your puppies, before it's too late. I hate to say this, but if you can't afford a vet, maybe you should think about whether you can really afford a dog.

Diatomaceous earth given every day. Must be food grade. Your garden dia earth has poisons. Must be food grade. A healthy natural product. I get mine from www.earthworkshealth.com. Inexpensive and used in several ways. Fleas must be eliminated. Fleas carry worm infestation. Build immune system. Good diet (easy fix at home) with nothing from pet food aisle at the grocery store. Read my past postings for more.

Hello, I have worked for a Veterinarian for over 27 years. Please take your fur baby to his/her Veterinarian. There are different kinds of worms and they must be treated with an prescription. There is not a home remedy to rid your pet of any type of worm. Good luck

For those of you that are looking for an all natural treatment for fleas, ticks, worms in and on your pets, try using diatomaceous earth. Be sure to use only food grade, as there are other types on the market that are toxic; such as that used in pool filters.
Check online at: http://gardenharvestsupply.com . Remember to ask your vet before using.

I have a 6-7 wk old Husky/Lab male puppy named Damian that is vomiting up 5-6 inch long worms. I'd prefer to do a natural treatment; is there anything you can suggest?

By Vicki A

Answers

Your puppy has a severe problem that needs treatment immediately! I searched online and immediately found this site:

http://www.vete … ontent.plx?A=476

This informaton below is from this site-please take your puppy to your vet immediately! Note that you and other people can also become infected with the worms.

Roundworm infection can have numerous negative effects. It is a common cause of diarrhea in young animals and can cause vomiting as well. Sometimes the worms themselves are vomited up which can be alarming as they can be quite large with females reaching lengths of up to seven inches.

The worms consume the hosts food and can lead to unthriftiness and a classical pot-bellied appearance. Very heavy infections can lead to pneumonia as the worms migrate and, if there are enough worms, the intestine can actually become obstructed.

It should also be noted that human infection by this parasite is especially serious (see below). It is important to minimize the contamination of environmental soil with the feces of infected animals so as to reduce the exposure hazard to both humans and other animals.

Very cute puppy. Please do not attempt a home remedy for this serious problem. I understand you'd prefer natural medicine for your pet, and that's fine for more minor problems such as ticks, fleas, and mild rashes. However, when your dog is vomiting 6-inch worms that is the time to take him to the vet and get medicine.

Think about it: If you were personally vomiting 6-inch worms, would you look on the internet for possible internet cures, or would you make an appointment to see your doctor?

I just got my 6 week old puppy today and was told he needed to be dewormed, so I went and bought him some Sentry Worm X DS. Earlier I checked his poop for worms and there were none. But I tried getting him to take the medicine anyways, he didn't take it all, but when he pooped again it had about 3 or 4 long worms they were not moving. So after that I made sure he took his medicine, now he's just laying down.

Answers

The medication you purchased only clears some types of worms. For heart and other types of worms, (important!) please take your pup to your vet immediately for prescription medication-not sold in stores.

I need a home remedy that will cure her.

By Monique from Chicago, IL

Answers

FOOD GRADE Diatomaecous Earth. You can get it on line or at your local feed store.

My 9 puppies are 6 days old and have worms. How do I help them?

By Malinda

Answers

Hello,
Please call your Veterinarian for advice. Mother's will sometimes pass the worms on to their puppies when they are born. Your Veterinarian can also treat the mother. Please take a stool sample to your Dr., so he/she can deterimine whiich worms to treat. Good luck

My Rot puppy is 2 months old and I found long thick worms in her stool. She is also vomiting now. My vet gave her some medicines, but no use. Please help me as I can't see her so low.

By Trissha

My puppies have worms. How do I get rid of them? Is there any home remedies?

Heather From Modesto, CA

Answers:

Puppies With Worms

My cat had them, it is so gross! I tried a $3.00 medication from the store, it did not work. I hate to tell you this: you are better off going to the vet, tapeworms will eventually kill the puppies, not to mention they fall from their "bum" all over your house! The good news: Worms need a host, meaning humans cannot get worms unless ingested alive. Then you can give them Revolution ($15.00) to keep it from coming back. Revolution is cheaper than Frontline and prevents more than just fleas. When I found that out I asked "why would anyone buy Frontline then?"
Well good luck with your messy situation. I feel your pain, and remember that feeling in my throat when I first saw a tapeworm. I am so sorry:-( (04/21/2007)

By Starchild in VT

Puppies With Worms

We had a litter of puppies and they had every kind of worm there was. Some like spaghetti, some like rice, and some that actually crawled away. Yikes! The vet have them meds and shots and cleared the mess up. Until you get rid of the worms, they can pass them to other dogs and drop them around. I don't know of any home remedy to get rid of puppy worms. Dogs are expensive, like adopting a child. (04/23/2007)

By Stngray

Puppies With Worms

Tape worm medication is a completely different dewormer than the one used for round worms (spaghetti looking one), these are the intestinal parasites that are visible without a microscope. Round worm and Hook worm are zoonotic, meaning we CAN get them from pets. this is especially true for babies crawling on the floor. They may pick up an invisible egg on the floor (even though you cleaned the area after an accident) and then of course put their hands in their mouths. I work at a vet's and the scariest thing is that round worm can migrate to the eyes of a child and cause them to become blind in that eye.

I think it's awful this isn't televised. The last post that said why not Revolution had a good point the reason behind not using this product exclusively is: It does a variety of things, but not as good as products designed for that purpose. It is especially good for cats, as it does kill the "worms", (but not tapeworm, the dried up ones that resemble rice), ear mites, and mange, but is not a good dewormer for dogs. (04/24/2007)

By fruitk8

Puppies With Worms

Buy the cheapest one at the grocery store or check you local hardware store (rural areas) they still carry pet supplies like the old days! Thank God. (04/28/2007)

By Denise

Organic Remedy for Puppies With Worms

Food grade diatomaceous earth is a natural organic wormer. Provided the puppy isn't infested with fleas (for which food grade diatomaceous earth naturally dehydrates as well), it will eliminate tapeworms. Just put it in the daily food. Note, if the puppy continues to have fleas, it will continue to have tapeworms.

It works much safer than chemical wormers and worms can't develop immunity to it as they are doing to the traditional wormers.

http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html

retail stores: http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/de_retailers.html

(01/09/2009)

By Happy Pets