Preventing Color From Bleeding on Clothing

How do you stop red material from running into other light colours in a dress when it is washed for the first time?

By Ros

Use those Shout Color Catcher sheets. You will find them in the laundry department. I have found they work really good, and I use them anytime I launder something that might bleed onto other items and even if I have some times put what I call a medium colored item in with a darker or lighter load.

I would try using the dryel system on the dress. It offers spot cleaning and really freshens clothing nicely.

October 15, 2012 Flag

I have a Nascar sweatshirt jacket that has become dirty on the sleeves. The dry cleaners won't guarantee that the red lettering won't bleed on to the white. How can I wash this jacket?

By Shirley

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

As long as your jacket is washable use Shout Color Catchers in the washer and I would recommend cold water wash. They work great and are very reasonable.

December 23, 2010 Flag

I have towels that are mint green and when I washed them with like colors they bleed onto the other clothing and continue to bleed. How do I repair the other clothing and how do I stop the towels from bleeding?

By Norma from PA

Answers:

I dye wool and when I want to set the color, I use white vinegar or citric acid. If you really want to keep these towels, I would wash them separately in a very hot tub of water with 1 cup of white vinegar. Let the towels soak about 30 minutes. Wash as usual. Hope this sets the excess dye in the towels. (07/20/2010)

By themuffster

July 16, 2010 Flag

I am trying to wash red polyester fabric with white letters on it, but I don't want the red to run and turn the letters pink. How can I stop this from happening? I don't have a lot of money so any household items would be great.

Selena from Saskatoon, SK

Answers:

My grandmother taught me to use vinegar and salt. I use about 4 parts vinegar to 2 parts salt. Dissolve it into your washing water first or hot water first, before adding clothes. This works every time. (04/17/2007)

By Nicole

Shout makes a product that are like dryer sheets you can get at the grocery. shoutitout.com I have no stock, interest whatever in this product, I just know it works.
(01/14/2008)

By Wendy

If you do have something fade during the wash I've found that regular 75% or 90% isopropyl alcohol will take almost all of the fade out without bothering the surrounding colors. Put the garment in a large bowl or bucket (garment can be wet or dry, but try to catch it before it goes thru the dryer) and pour the alcohol over it. Work it thru the garment (like you are hand washing it).

If the stain is persistent let the garment soak overnight. If the alcohol evaporates, just add more. It will not bleach the garment, make it fall apart, etc. I used this technique on a green/white silk blouse (which ended up pink) and it worked like a charm! It will work on any stain that is "synthetic" e.g. ink, dye, etc. If it's protein based (blood, grass, etc.) use hydrogen peroxide, but beware! Strong H2O2 will bleach (thus peroxide blondes). (03/25/2008)

By Kathleen

I made a flag quilt for my son and it had a lot of reds, blues, yellows, and white in it. I knew it had to be washed and I washed it in cold water with a lot of table salt in it, close to half a box. It came out good, but when someone else washed it, they did not put any thing in to stop the colors and it ruined the quilt. Hope this works for you. (12/24/2008)

By Ruby

April 17, 2007 Flag

I bought my new grandson an outfit that is white and red cotton. We washed as instructed and the red faded on the white. I returned it and thought I would try again. Can you please tell us what to do to keep the red from fading on this cute little "flyer radio" outfit.

Do we soak it in some type of solution before we wash it to keep the red from running? Please help.

Debra from Bryce, Louisiana

Answers:

Try soaking it in cold water and salt. I did that with several red and white blankets, and the salt seems to set it. (I just used table salt.) Good luck! (02/07/2006)

By elaia

There is a product you can buy to prevent colors from running in the wash. I'm sorry I don't remember the name of it right now, but its a common one. Look in the detergent aisle of your grocery or discount store. (02/07/2006)

By Carol

I have always been told to soak it in a solution of vinegar and water to fix the color. (02/08/2006)

By Claudia-MD.

If it happens on the second outfit, I'd be afraid that the company did not set the colors properly and that the fabrics would keep bleeding. I use Dye Grabber by Carbona when I mix my lights and darks to save water/electricity/time. You can find it in the laundry aisle as Carol suggested. (02/08/2006)

By Eileen Celeste

There is a product out there called retayne, it is sold in the quilt shops and is used to keep the colors from bleeding. Works great! (02/08/2006)

By Diamondee

I wash all new colorful clothing in table salt. I set the washer level on low, use cold water and add probably half a container (grocery store size) of salt. Wash normally and then wash with detergent. It may be a manufacturer problem but this always works for me. (02/22/2006)

By Ann4

Dye Grabber

Can you advise me where these can be purchased? I previously bought some from Hancock Fabrics but when I went to re-order these, I was told they do not sell them. I am a quilting teacher and try to advise my students to use the dye grabber when they wash their fabrics before they begin quiting. I appreciate your help. Thank you (01/14/2007)

By Marion Lundgren

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryDecember 23, 2010
Man With Fresh Stain on Shirt
Preventing Stains on Clothing
Bleeding Heart
Growing Bleeding Heart
Pug with bandage leg.
Treating a Pet's Wound
Putting bandaid on child.
Stopping a Superficial Wound from Bleeding
🎄