Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Urine Smell on Linens

How can you remove the urine smell from sheets? My grandson wet the bed and even though we washed the sheets and blankets they still smell like urine.

Kids Grandma from Coshocton, OH

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Shawna (Guest Post)11/11/2008

Fool proof combo that has worked for me is half cup of baking soda in the wash and then half cup of white vinegar in the rinse cycle (use a full cup of each for really soiled or large loads)

By Ann09/11/2008

Try a product called Odorzout. Look it up at 88Stink.com. It's all natural and works like a charm. I had a cat that kept urinating on a mattress and this stuff got rid of the odor completely. They make a special powder specifically for the wash. Well worth the investment.

By James Cessna09/11/2008

I have not had much success with white vinegar nor Borax, and hanging the clothes outside is not an option. Using either still leaves a discernible odor.

Does anyone have a product name that you can add to the washing machine to remove urine odor?

Surely, there must be some inexpensive product in use by nursing homes, etc.

By Alexandra (Guest Post)06/06/2006

Use about 1 cup of white vinegar in the wash cycle of your laundry. This will work perfectly. The pH of the white vinegar negates the nasty urine smell and you will have sweet smelling laundry from there on out. Good luck.

By SAM (Guest Post)01/21/2006

Try using a cup of Borax in the load of laundry. This helped with my bed-wetter. Another thing someone had me try was adding 1/4 cup of Mr.Clean to the load of laundry. Those items need to be washed right away and not left to sit or the smells won't want to come out. For the stuff that sat too long, try repeated washes with one of the products (or both together for the "desperate").

By Becki in Indiana (Guest Post)01/13/2006

hang them outdoors in the sunshine.

By Jeanne (Guest Post)01/10/2006

There is a product named Odoban (try Sam's Club). A little in the wash water has removed every odor I've ever tried it on, though in the case of urine I think Iwould try vinegar in the wash cycle and add Odoban to the rinse.

By Carol (Guest Post)01/10/2006

Sheets should always be washed in hottest possible water... I use cold rinse..

By Sara C [1]01/08/2006

Not only will the vinegar remove the urine smell, it will also remove any irritants that might be in the linens. It works in place of fabric softener and gives your dryer a longer lifespan by not "gunking" up the lint catching device.

By SusannL. (Guest Post)01/08/2006

Put a cup of white vinegar in the washing machine along with the detergent.