RabbitsPest Control

Keeping a Rabbit Off Furniture

I know someone who has indoor cats, dogs and a rabbit. I would like to know if anything can be used to keep the rabbit OFF the furniture. It is not shy, will hop onto furniture whether occupied or not and most likely wets and leaves droppings. Any suggestions of what would repel the creature?

Thanks,
Anbsmommy from Spanaway

Does the rabbit have a litter box, like a cat? My rabbit sometimes leaves a few droppings around the furniture, but he only wets in a litter box. Just a suggestion to think about before banning him from the furniture, although that is definitely up to the owner, as I know dogs and cats who are not allowed on certain types of furniture.

I know this will not look good, but it works like a charm with cats and dogs. Put tin foil on the sofa, chair, etc. Just on the "seat" part. For the most part it usually only takes a few days for the pet to "get it". When the bunny jumps up, it will NOT like the sound or feel of the foil.

A good reinforcer or substitute is a spray bottle of water. When the bunny jumps on the furniture spray it in the face. Do not set the bottle on STREAM, use SPRAY only. Again after a day or so, just the sound of shaking the bottle works. This may seem like a mean thing to do, but it works,it doesn't harm, the animal in any way, and it was suggested to me by my Vet.

Give these a try. I hope they work for bunnies like they work for cats and dogs. Oh, another suggestion, get the bunny a piece of furniture for itself. Visit a local thrift store or go garage sailing and get a pet bed, an ottoman, or something. It may just want something of it's own.

Beth

Anonymous

Tinfoil worked for a while, but doesn't bother him one bit now. Might try the water squirt.

If the rabbit is spayed or neutered, it's unlikely that it will wet or leave droppings on the furniture. Of course, the rabbit may be having some kind of battle with its human--this is one way of pointing out it is not pleased with some situation. But usually rabbits only jump on furniture to get a different view of things, so unless there's something tempting up there to chew, the average spayed or neutered rabbit shouldn't do anything annoying on the furniture. Mine like to jump on my bed and various other places. It's exciting for them for awhile, then they get bored and don't do it for awhile, then it becomes interesting again.