Dog Throws Up Snack Bones

The dog doesn't chew his snack bone, he gulps it then throws up. This is his newest habit. He is an American Pit Bull mix terrier. Any suggestions?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Break up the snack bone in small pieces and feed him a little at a time. Swallowing the whole snack bone runs a risk of him choking and may cause his death.

Until we solve this gulping situation, all we give him is tiny kibble and bones that are too big to swallow (like a foot long).

This may sound counter-intuitive to what you've been thinking, but please just consider this. Watch him eat the small kibbles. When small kibbles are fed to some dogs, they are actually more likely to avoid chewing them at all, swallow them whole, and choke or throw them up. Watch your dog to see if this may be the problem. I have a 110-pound dog and two 10-pound dogs. They are fed the same exact dog food, except that the small dogs get the "small bites" version. If our large dog gets into the wrong bowl, he stops chewing the kibble and practically inhales the kibble to get it down fast. It does not cause him to choke or throw it up, but that's because he's probably soooo large that he can handle those whole.

Dog food kibbles being too small may or may not be the problem for you, but it's at least worth ruling out. Good luck!

Try bigger bones - my puppy did the same thing with his kibble he would pretty much "inhale" his food, we got him bigger kibble and the problem stopped immeadeatly

My little girl was pretty much starving when I got her. What I do is I ration her feeding. I give her a little bit because she woofs it down, then I give her a little bit more a minute or so after she has finished the first.

When it comes to her treat bones, I break small pieces off. She knows what the words chew it means.

I tell her she must "chew it" and now she does.

Since she isn't starving anymore, she is being more of her dainty self while she eats but for a little dog she can sure pack the food away.

I have also found that when I have gave her food that is too rich, like mixing tuna or flaked chicken in with her rice and carrots ( because the chicken that the vet suggest I use with the rice and carrots to get some weight on her, she started getting tired of) and she would throw up a little. Especially if I gave it to her in the morning.

She doesn't get either of those in the mornings anymore and hasn't thrown up since.

Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 5, 2008
Cheese and Tomato Snack
Cheese Snack Ideas
Snack Mix
Snack Mix Recipes
Carving a Turkey
Using Your Turkey Bones for Soup
tape dispenser
Uses for Empty Tape Rolls
🎄
🍂