Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

What Household Products Can Be Used As Fabric Softener?

Does anyone know if there are any household products that can be used to make "Fabric Softener"? I am on a very low fixed income and I try to make anything I can that will save me money.
Thanks for any suggestions one might have.

Diane from Miami, FL

By

By Melisaa02/01/2010

Use 1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of baking soda and 1/2 cup of Vinegar in the rinse cycle. Your clothes will come out just as soft of not better than if you had used fabric softener with perfumey dyes eww..

By Susie [1]10/05/2007

I make my own laundry det.(Fels Naptha soap,Washing Soda and Borax). I no longer need to use fabric softner or dryer sheets. My cloths are cleaner and softer.

By Cyinda [214]10/04/2007

When I wash anything with wool, especially when I hand wash a wool sweater I always add a bit of hair condoner to the rinse water. This is because wool IS HAIR... Just leave it set for a bit as you would in your hair & then rinse out! ... It'll be soft as a baby's bottom!

By Patricia Cronin [1]10/04/2007

As some of the other posters have said, white vinegar is really great for softening. I read that putting it in the final rinse helps to remove the excess soap build-up from the laundry. I tried it with my family's towels and jeans first since they always seemed stiff and the difference was amazing. I generally use about 1/2 the reccomended amount of detergent to begin with and then add about 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the rinse.

By susan [5]10/04/2007

I've heard that you can wad up a piece of aluminum foil into a ball and use that to soften and cut down on static cling, but I was always afraid to try it on fabrics that might snag. I have used a tennis ball.

By Holly [350]09/29/2007

The manufacturer's directions for softener are predicated upon the amount of softener the water will absorb. This amount is larger than what the clothing really needs.
If you are going to use softener, use half as much as you ordinarily would.
I have noticed that cheap softener is already somewhat pre-diluted, so this info might be more applicable to the more expensive brands. Test and see.

By Carol in PA (Guest Post)09/29/2007

Fabric softener is a product advertisers have made us feel we need. Its totally unecessary. Just wash your clothes and bedding without the softener. You'll be healthier for it.. and save money too. Years ago women didnt use fabric softener as it wasnt invented yet. Their wash turned out fine.

By Keeper [57]09/28/2007

Hi, I use white household vinegar. 3/4-1cup in the final rinse. In the dryer there are no leftover smell. The towels are fluffier and no residue like dryer sheets. If I do have dryer sheets cutting them in half works just as well.

By Michawn [16]09/28/2007

According to the Queen of Clean (Google her, she is Linda something or other from Arizona) in a pinch, a cap of conditioner (cheaper the better) works.

By terri0905 (Guest Post)09/28/2007

Instead of using fabric softener in the washer I put fabric softener on an old wash cloth and throw it in the dryer with the clothes. It can be used several times and works as well as a dryer sheet and the fabric softener lasts a lot longer.

By tracey [15]09/28/2007

Use white vinegar. Vinegar is one the most used products in my home. Check out the Heinz vinegar website for more practical uses.

By Becki in Indiana (Guest Post)09/28/2007

I use white vinegar (as suggested by a previous poster). I buy it by the gallon jug, and stock up during canning/pickling season when it goes on special!

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]09/28/2007

As soon as I buy a box of dryer sheets, I cut all of them in 4ths and they last me for a very long time.

By Carol Churchill [18]09/27/2007

Add white vinegar to the last rinse. Everything comes out soft and NO! you will not smell like vinegar! The same amount of vinegar that you would have used of liquid fabric softener will be fine.

By joan pecsek [88]09/27/2007

My friend buys fabric softener sheets from the dollar store and cuts them in half. She says you don't need the whole sheet. Maybe this would be cheaper than making them.