Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

I just dyed my hair and it came out black. I wanted dark brown. What can I do? Thanks.

Janie

By Terry09/06/2010

I did the same thing, tried every thing then saw this post. When start to CVS to buy Oops. It is wonderful. Worked first time for me.

By DeadlyAlize11/14/2009

I would go with oops, or you can mix peroxide * the liquid at the drugstore* and baking soda. make a thin paste with it and then cover you hair with it. let it sit for 3- 5 minutes and it should lighten it some. another thing you can try is a mixture of toothpaste and baking soda. I am not sure if this works on permanent color, but it worked on the semi permanents.

By lacy (Guest Post)02/05/2009

My hair used to be black and I wanted to get the black out and go to a different color. When I dyed it it came out yellow and light orange and a little red. What can I do to get it to go to like a dark blonde or even a brown? I talked to a professional hairstylist and she said no matter what I do my blond roots will turn blue? Please help I want it a different color.

By Doreen (Guest Post)10/20/2008

When my hair turned orange I used lots of medicated shampoo and left it on for ages. It took a lot of the colour out - worth a try?

By NinjaMedic (Guest Post)10/20/2008

Please, if you have bleached or lightened your hair, never put anything that has 'ash' on the label on it because you will get green/grey tones. Use some dish soap in your shampoo. It will lighten it - it may take a few washes, but it will work.

By AMBER (Guest Post)10/17/2008

Go to a salon.

By leocat (Guest Post)10/14/2008

Been there, done that! Always use non or semi permanent dye. The other, permanent colors are harsher and tend to go brassy/orange as they fade. Unless you are very experienced or have a professional do it. I would stay away from permanent dye. Good luck!

By Liz [15]10/12/2008

I agree with the suggestion to buy "Oops". If you can't find "Oops", and you used the formula that is to last for 12-24 shampoos, you can lighten your hair by washing several times with Dawn or Palmolive dish detergent and conditioning very well.

By amie (Guest Post)10/09/2008

An ash tone is what you need. It's pretty complicated but what you need to do is go against the orange with an ash blue green base to get a brown color.

By Diane (Guest Post)10/09/2008

There is a new product out you can find at CVS or any store like that called "Oops". It is in the hair dye isle and along with the hair dye boxes. It will take out the color you just put in....like a reverse. It has no ammonia in it so it wont leave your hair super dry.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

I just dyed my hair, and "yikes" it looks sick. It didn't come out the way I was hoping it would, not even close. I tried to dye it from dirty blond to brunette and guess what, it came out light orange. I don't know what you would call that, but I call it freaky. It was totally unexpected and not wanted. So what should I do now? I look like a walking orange peel. Should I try to dye it again? If I do, will it damage my hair? Is there some kind of hair dye removal? All I know is that I look like a freak show and I want that to change. Help me Please!

Aliesha

RE: Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

My hair used to turn red or orange when I dyed it. Someone told me to use ash blonds or ash browns to tone down the red tendency in my hair. It was naturally dark brown but all the brown or blond dyes caused it to show a lot of red/orange. (01/11/2008)

By MartyD

RE: Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Most hair colors have the website for their products on the box container, or on the instructions in with your kit. If you have not thrown out the paperwork yet, get that website and they have an 800 toll free number you can call. Or you can email them with these same questions. They give you a visual guide on there to go by, helping you choose your shade to pick from your natural hair color. Until then, I would wash it a lot and use conditioner at each wash to sit on it for about 5-8 minutes, it will lessen in color after repeated washes in about 2 weeks, which will help some. Good luck. (01/11/2008)

By theseamstress

RE: Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

I hate to tell you this, but go to a professional and get it corrected. I believe this is one place it's impossible to skimp and still turn out okay. (01/12/2008)

By DonnaDW

RE: Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Don't use any hair color that has "ash" in it. That will make your hair turn red. (01/13/2008)

By Karensteph

RE: Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Was the dye permanent? I dyed my hair horrendous a couple of months ago, and went into a sally's beauty place, the lady told me DO NOT USE A STRIPPER! She said to dye it darker than what is was. But I have brown hair, and did yuck-o highlights. I saw a color corrector in a magazine, I think it was Redbook or something, I will try to find it and get back to you. (01/13/2008)

By smalltwn_cntrygirl

RE: Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

It's called colorfix. (01/13/2008)

By smalltwn_cntrygirl

RE: Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

You can buy Color Oops at drugstores or ColorFix at Sally's. You don't dye over. The color remover will make your hair the more "natural" color (depending on how long you've been dying your hair). Some people can maintain with the removed color, some people then redye over again. Try this website, here is the Hair Forum, Search Colorfix or Color Oops, they helped me tremendously. I do know, a LOT of people say the toner (the 3rd bottle for ColorFix) makes your hair darker again, so if you like the color you end up with (after the remover) do NOT use the toner. You might have to make an account, but if you like hair and beauty or such, it's worth it (it's free). http://www.makeupalley.com/board/board.asp?bid=8 (01/15/2008)

By michawnpita

RE: Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

If you went from blond to brown. You have to put the red back into your hair first. When it is stripped and dyed blond all the red is removed in the process, you cant get back to brown shades without putting the red back in. I did this and my hair turned green. I got a professional fix and this is what I was told. (01/16/2008)

RE: Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Corrective coloring needs to be done by a professional. (01/16/2008)

By Linda

RE: Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Do you still have the box the hair color came in? There's an 800 help number on it. The manufacturer knows best how to fix these things. Dry your tears (I know, I've called them too) and ask them for help. (01/16/2008)

By Jantoo

RE: Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Professional fix is the best way, but if you must on your own, the 800 number is your first point of action. Sounds like either you colored it blond and it needs other color added back in with the brown, or you need a color filler because it is too porous. Good luck! (01/16/2008)

By purrplekat

RE: Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

First off, ash tones are blue honey! And yes, you could dye your hair again, it won't hurt it. Hair dyes these days are mild and leave your hair in better condition. Even when you go to salons they offer double processes for you hair. Just get another box of the dye and try again, try taking a hair drier to it to get the color to set in better. Hair dye doesn't badly damage hair, once it gets to a certain point it basically deactivates (unless you just permed, your hair will be too brittle to color in that case, best to wait a few weeks). Bleaching your hair on the other hand does do a lot of damage. (02/02/2008)

By Verybella

RE: Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Sometimes you can remove temporary hair color with mineral oil or baby oil (they're the same thing). You simply comb the oil through your hair, then heat a hot towel in your oven (at 200 deg), then carefully, making sure it's not too hot for your head, wrap the towel around your head making sure all of your hair is inside the warm towel. Next, put another towel in the oven to warm up while the one on your head is now cooling off. When your head towel cools, switch towels. Do this for about an hour, and in between towel changes, comb the oil through your hair again & again. The heat opens up the hair shaft so the oil can really penetrate. Next wash the oil out with a clarifying shampoo. Clarifying shampoos are stronger shampoos, made to only use once in a while. You may have to do this twice, but this technique will remove most of any temporary hair color, not permanent (I don't know if it will work for semi-permanent). * To re-dye, go to a specialist. Call the salon & ask for the best hair coloring specialist they have. Ask them to have the Coloring Specialist call you back when they have a minute. When they call back: Ask them how many years He or She has been coloring hair, & tell them your dilemma. Then ask if they know they can fix your color by re-coloring it. Of course no one can ever be absolutely sure they can fix it. If you're not sure or wary, go to another salon! * Take the box of colorant you used in to your appointment with you. If it was at another salon, call and ask them what they used, this will help the coloring specialist to know what they should use. *Stay away from any Beauty (training) School or a place like "Super Cuts"! (02/02/2008)

By Cyinda

RE: Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Here's one for the books; I bought one color, and in the box was another color! I never noticed it until my light brown came out blood red! (06/14/2008)