Hair Turned Orange After Dyeing

Category Coloring
This is a page about hair turned orange after dyeing. When your hair color does not come out the way you want it, there is often a way to fix it.

I have recently dyed my hair blonde from light brown. I've noticed that the day after dyeing it the more it looked orange. What should I do to get the orange tone out of my hair?

Answers

Best Answer

Put a semi permanent color on. To make your hair several shades lighter the darker color must be stripped and the new color deposited. This is a professional job.

Best Answer

Use a lighter ash blonde dye, trim, and deep condition.

I recently bleached my hair and rinsed it brown. However it came out bright orange. I hate it. Is it possible for me to just use a dark brown dye and get it to a brown color and not orange?

Answers

Best Answer

A proper answer would require more information. How light did you bleach your hair? Red, red gold, gold, yellow, pale yellow? I've never heard of anyone 'rinsing' their hair brown. What product did you use? No temporary rinse should have turned your hair orange.

I know of no semi permanent color specifically made for use on bleached hair. Most semi permanent colors, when used on bleached hair, tend to give strange colors. L'Oreal does have a color line it recommends for bleached hair, but it has gotten terrible reviews.

www.lorealparisusa.com/.../ct:r&shade=100-Peach

You must understand that if you apply more color to your hair, you are not removing the orange, just adding to it. If you color your hair dark brown, the resulting color will be a combination of dark brown and orange. And do know that most dark brown hair colors, whether semi permanent or permanent do contain an amount of green. The green in the color, mixed with the orange you now have could result in a very strange color.

To prevent this green, your hair may require a filler in a warm shade prior to coloring it dark brown. This could be determined only with a visual inspection by a knowledgeable colorist.

Your best bet is to discuss your problem with an expert colorist. If there is residual product from the brown rinse that turned your hair bright orange, it should be removed before considering further treatment. After this, you would have a better idea as to what to do next. The resulting shade and the condition of the hair will determine what to do next.

It is possible for you at home to color your hair so dark and so heavily with a permanent color, it will completely hide the orange. The hair will looked dyed and unhealthy. And as bleached hair does not hold color as well as virgin hair, your hair will look even worse as the color fades, even slightly.

Who knows what chemicals were in the brown rinse that caused it to turn your hair bright orange. Try to get the orange corrected first, not by adding more color, but before you add more color.

Yesterday I dyed my hair, but it doesn't look like the colour I was shown at the salon. He said it will change after a few weeks. Will my hair colour change to the picture? Mine is too orange, but her's is quite blond.

Thank you very much for helping.

Answers

Best Answer

Apparantly, you used a color with lifting/bleaching action. The only way you would get the same results as 'Her', would be for you to have hair identical to her's. I'm guessing your hair was either darker or more resistant than her's.

Your hair color probably will change somewhat over the course of a few weeks, but it will not change to blond. It probably will change to a reddish orange. Your hair might require pre bleaching in order for you to get the 'same' color she got, using the same color she used.

After bleaching my hair it turned orange. I want it dark dark red. Can I just dye it dark red now?

Answers

What color was your hair prior to bleaching? Its normal for dark hair to turn orange after bleaching, as dark hair has the most orange tones.

Yes, your best option is dying darker instead of continuing to bleach it. I would try a dark color red with an ash tone or base to it to cancel out any leftover orange. But for the most part, a deep dark color will cover the orange.

Dark dark red sounds beautiful! Good luck!

I would neutralize the orange with a toner with a blue undertone. The instructions are here www.stylecraze.com/.../how-to-fix-orange-hair-color

If it's a bleach orange, YES!!! You can totally put a red over it. You don't need to do much else, just choose that shade you like. I'd suggest using a semi permanent so you can make sure you LOVE the red you get.

If you go permanent you'll be stuck with whatever happens to it then you'll have to strip it to get rid of it. Hope it turns out nicely!

Back to back treatments can be really rough on your hair....so just an unsolicited word of advice from someone with super brittle hair, after you get it where you want it, be kind to your hair and keep away from the chemicals, heat, rubber bands etc. for the next month or so.

Blessings and all good wishes!

Red is a very hard color to get right when you dye your own hair. There are people who visit a salon and have their hair dyed and it can turn out an orange color in the end. I think the bleaching of your hair had something to do with the color it is now. I would love to tell you to try again but I am afraid it can damage your hair. I think you should really go to a salon and have this professionally done. This can save your hair from more damage and breaking in the end.

This is exactly right! You need to tone your hair to neutralize the unwanted pigment I.e. orange, yellow, etc. professionals go off of a color wheel. If you have unwanted orange in your hair, then you would use a blue based toner. Wella toners are really good if you are wanting a toner that the public can buy. If your roots or hair look like bigbird, then you need to use a purple base toner. Just keep in mind that the base of a Silver toner is blue, violet, ash. So, if you have orange and yellow unwanted tones, youd need to use a blue-violet or Depending if your goal is platinum or a Silver based Toner if you want the final outcome to be more of an Ash color opposed to platinum or very light blonde. To successfully achieve platinum blonde you must pre lighten your hair to look similar to the color the inside of a banana. Very pale yellow then, youd apply a purple based toner. These toners will turn purple on your hair- they are doing their job just kee an eye on what color you want the ending result to be.

TIP 1: Toners will not change your hair color level! This means if your hair hasnt been lifted to the desired level- a toner will not lift your hair to become a lighter color! It simply neutralizes (makes the hair a neutral color) the hair by acting as a filler to your hair.

Tip 2: Hair Level Swatches Or Chart- find your natural color of your hair. This will tell you which pigment is more dominant when you go to lighten your hair. You must go through steps and levels for success!

Tip 3: Hair Color Wheel- find the orange color on the wheel look across from the color and this will let you know which base color is needed to Neutralize/rid the unwanted orange hues in your hair! Same with yellow!

Hope this helps!

I'm in hair school and we had a fantasy competition. I dyed my mannequin with Pravana trying to do an orange melted into a pastel coral, but it came out a really ugly light orange. Is there any color I can use now to make it look good without stripping it? Like could I go red?

Answers

I would contact the company directly: www.pravana.com/.../index

I say you can because I have done the same. Just know that once it goes red, it will be darker red as you're working off an orange and not a bleached blond.

The company has color mix charts in PDF. I found it by googling "pravana color mixing chart".

www.pinterest.com/.../?lp=true

Have fun with the options!!

Can I use Country Time lemonade to remove intense rust from my blonde highlights? Will it do anything to my hair that does not have the orangey color in it?

Answers

You need to tone with a light ash brown, not lemonade. Instructions are here bellatory.com/.../How-to-correct-orange-hair

Country Time lemonade will not harm your natural hair, but it won't do much to correct your rust problem, either. If you color your hair without removing the 'intense' rust first, the resulting color will be a combination of the color you chose and the rust. Do not apply color on top of this rust.

Clairol makes a product called Metalex which is specifically designed to remove mineral deposits from the hair. You might want to give it a try.

And before investing any money, you might want to try some home remedies for removing the rust. There are many recipes on the Internet. Most involve the use of lemon juice or vinegar diluted with distilled water.

It could very well be that if you satisfactorily remove the rust, you might like the resulting color and chose not to color your hair.

I just dyed my hair, and "yikes" it looks sick. It didn't come out the way I was hoping it would, not even close. I tried to dye it from dirty blond to brunette and guess what, it came out light orange. I don't know what you would call that, but I call it freaky. It was totally unexpected and not wanted. So what should I do now? I look like a walking orange peel. Should I try to dye it again? If I do, will it damage my hair? Is there some kind of hair dye removal? All I know is that I look like a freak show and I want that to change. Help me Please!

Aliesha

Answers:

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

My hair used to turn red or orange when I dyed it. Someone told me to use ash blonds or ash browns to tone down the red tendency in my hair. It was naturally dark brown but all the brown or blond dyes caused it to show a lot of red/orange. (01/11/2008)

By Marty Dick

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Most hair colors have the website for their products on the box container, or on the instructions in with your kit. If you have not thrown out the paperwork yet, get that website and they have an 800 toll free number you can call. Or you can email them with these same questions. They give you a visual guide on there to go by, helping you choose your shade to pick from your natural hair color. Until then, I would wash it a lot and use conditioner at each wash to sit on it for about 5-8 minutes, it will lessen in color after repeated washes in about 2 weeks, which will help some. Good luck. (01/11/2008)

By Julie

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

I hate to tell you this, but go to a professional and get it corrected. I believe this is one place it's impossible to skimp and still turn out okay. (01/12/2008)

By DonnaDW

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Don't use any hair color that has "ash" in it. That will make your hair turn red. (01/13/2008)

By Karenstephanie

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Was the dye permanent? I dyed my hair horrendous a couple of months ago, and went into a sally's beauty place, the lady told me DO NOT USE A STRIPPER! She said to dye it darker than what is was. But I have brown hair, and did yuck-o highlights. I saw a color corrector in a magazine, I think it was Redbook or something, I will try to find it and get back to you. (01/13/2008)

By Katie Laflin

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

It's called colorfix. (01/13/2008)

By Katie Laflin

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

You can buy Color Oops at drugstores or ColorFix at Sally's. You don't dye over. The color remover will make your hair the more "natural" color (depending on how long you've been dying your hair). Some people can maintain with the removed color, some people then redye over again.

Try this website, here is the Hair Forum, Search Colorfix or Color Oops, they helped me tremendously. I do know, a LOT of people say the toner (the 3rd bottle for ColorFix) makes your hair darker again, so if you like the color you end up with (after the remover) do NOT use the toner. You might have to make an account, but if you like hair and beauty or such, it's worth it (it's free).

http://www.makeupalley.com/board/board.asp?bid=8 (01/15/2008)

By Michawn

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

If you went from blond to brown. You have to put the red back into your hair first. When it is stripped and dyed blond all the red is removed in the process, you cant get back to brown shades without putting the red back in. I did this and my hair turned green. I got a professional fix and this is what I was told. (01/16/2008)

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Corrective coloring needs to be done by a professional. (01/16/2008)

By Linda

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Do you still have the box the hair color came in? There's an 800 help number on it. The manufacturer knows best how to fix these things. Dry your tears (I know, I've called them too) and ask them for help. (01/16/2008)

By Janice C.

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Professional fix is the best way, but if you must on your own, the 800 number is your first point of action. Sounds like either you colored it blond and it needs other color added back in with the brown, or you need a color filler because it is too porous. Good luck! (01/16/2008)

By Kat

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

First off, ash tones are blue honey! And yes, you could dye your hair again, it won't hurt it. Hair dyes these days are mild and leave your hair in better condition. Even when you go to salons they offer double processes for you hair. Just get another box of the dye and try again, try taking a hair drier to it to get the color to set in better.

Hair dye doesn't badly damage hair, once it gets to a certain point it basically deactivates (unless you just permed, your hair will be too brittle to color in that case, best to wait a few weeks). Bleaching your hair on the other hand does do a lot of damage. (02/02/2008)

By Annabelle

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Sometimes you can remove temporary hair color with mineral oil or baby oil (they're the same thing). You simply comb the oil through your hair, then heat a hot towel in your oven (at 200 deg), then carefully, making sure it's not too hot for your head, wrap the towel around your head making sure all of your hair is inside the warm towel. Next, put another towel in the oven to warm up while the one on your head is now cooling off. When your head towel cools, switch towels. Do this for about an hour, and in between towel changes, comb the oil through your hair again & again. The heat opens up the hair shaft so the oil can really penetrate.

Next wash the oil out with a clarifying shampoo. Clarifying shampoos are stronger shampoos, made to only use once in a while. You may have to do this twice, but this technique will remove most of any temporary hair color, not permanent (I don't know if it will work for semi-permanent).

* To re-dye, go to a specialist. Call the salon & ask for the best hair coloring specialist they have. Ask them to have the Coloring Specialist call you back when they have a minute. When they call back: Ask them how many years He or She has been coloring hair, & tell them your dilemma. Then ask if they know they can fix your color by re-coloring it. Of course no one can ever be absolutely sure they can fix it. If you're not sure or wary, go to another salon!

* Take the box of colorant you used in to your appointment with you. If it was at another salon, call and ask them what they used, this will help the coloring specialist to know what they should use.

*Stay away from any Beauty (training) School or a place like "Super Cuts"! (02/02/2008)

By Cyinda

Hair Came Out the Wrong Color

Here's one for the books; I bought one color, and in the box was another color! I never noticed it until my light brown came out blood red! (06/14/2008)

Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringMay 19, 2017
📓
🐛
🌻
😎
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Hair-Turned-Orange-After-Dyeing-2.html