Permanent Marker on Flat Based Paint

I need to know how to remove markers off flat painted walls.

By Nasha

Answers

November 23, 2009 Flag

My almost 3 year old has colored numerous places in my house with permanent markers. All different colors! I cannot just scrub it off because the house we are renting has flat based paint. Any type of chemical and/or cleaning will take the paint right off. It's mostly black marker. Would painting over it be the best way to fix it? And if so, is it going to take a lot of white paint to cover black marker?

Crystal from Phoenix, Arizona

Answers:

Permanent Marker on Flat Based Paint

Try those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. I used one on flat paint the other day for crayon, and if you do it quickly and lightly, it will not remove much of the paint. My wall looked just fine after. (05/02/2007)

By chasa

Permanent Marker on Flat Based Paint

I have had this problem too. If you rub the marker off some of the paint ALWAYS comes off. I have found that the sheet rock underneath is white too so it really is not that big a deal. It will look better than marker. Plus, if you paint you will have to paint the whole room unless you have the exact match and the paint is not old. Good luck! (05/02/2007)

By Andjerm

Permanent Marker on Flat Based Paint

If you do repaint, which it sounds like you might have to, put on a primer and then paint, to save a little on paint itself. Have you seen that new product Easy Off Bam? The commercial shows it removing permanent marker. Perhaps the manufacturer of the marker might have a website that has some suggestions. (05/02/2007)

By thriftmeg

Permanent Marker on Flat Based Paint

Try pure rubbing alcohol. (05/02/2007)

By Sheryl

Permanent Marker on Flat Based Paint

Try rubbing alcohol first. Then repaint if it doesn't work. (05/02/2007)

By denise w

Permanent Marker on Flat Based Paint

Use shellac based Kilz, let dry, repaint over it with the flat white. There are numerous whites and you are home free if it is a pure white, but if not, you may have to paint the whole section of wall from corner to corner. (05/02/2007)

By Rasta

Permanent Marker on Flat Based Paint

Cover marker art with KILZ, and then paint over that. If you just try to paint, the marker will come right through. (05/02/2007)

By Linda

Permanent Marker on Flat Based Paint

You might try WD-40 before you have to repaint. It takes it out of clothes. (05/03/2007)

By busdrivr

Permanent Marker on Flat Based Paint

Try a solution of greased lightning half with water, as that is what I swear by, and I know it gets it out of carpet. Just on the wall you need to rinse it thoroughly after to be sure it does not take off the paint. (05/04/2007)

By toni

Permanent Marker on Flat Based Paint

I have been through this and if the paint is really white, you can use white out to go over the marker. It might take a few times, but it will cover it. I wouldn't use the greased lightning. I know it takes off paint. (05/06/2007)

By kimmcg

Tip of a Sharpie marker at the end of a squiggly line on white background.
Removing Permanent Marker
Home and Garden Cleaning WallsNovember 23, 2009
3 Sharpie Markers with a pen line.
Removing Sharpie on Kitchen Counters
Cleaning Permanent Marker from Wood Floors
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
🎉
🎄