Glycerin in Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap

What is the actual purpose of adding glycerin to liquid laundry soap recipes. (You know the typical recipe with grated soap, washing soda and borax.) But some call for glycerin and others don't. But I'm wondering what it's actual purpose is.

Is it better to use it or omit it? I've been making my own laundry soap for a long time now and won't go back to commercial ones.

K from Here

According to, Natural Living Forum, glycerin causes buildup when used to wash clothes, so you wouldn't want it as an ingredient in laundry soap.

I think the glycerin was just to help with the viscosity of the liquid soap. It isn't needed and is actually an added expense.

Make Your Own SoapMarch 4, 2008
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
liquid laundry soap
Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipes
Homemade Liquid Hand Soap
Homemade Liquid Hand Soap Recipes
Neatly Wrapped Homemade Soap
Packaging Homemade Soap for Sale