AppliancesCleaning

Cleaning Plastic Off An Oven Rack

Could anyone tell me how to get hardened plastic (that melted) in my oven off? I left a small pan in there with a plastic(?) coated handle while cooking. Thank You.

By mariebal from MA

Answers

I'd just take it outside and build a fire of leaves or something (in a fire pit) and let the rack lay in the fire.

July 7, 2009 Flag

Boy did I make a mess. I forgot I had a plastic cake pan in my oven. Turned the oven on and the thing melted all over my rack. How do I get it off? It's on there as hard as a rock. It stands to reason that if I heat it up, it will melt but I'm not going to put it back in my oven to melt it. What an awful smell. Took a few days to get the smell out.

Any ideas?
Jenny from KY

Answers:

Cleaning Plastic Off An Oven Rack

Can you take the rack out and 'cook' it over the grill outside to melt it off? That way the odor would be outside instead of inside. (11/21/2005)

By chima0692

Cleaning Plastic Off An Oven Rack

In a well-ventilated area (or outside) try melting the plastic with a hair dryer. (11/26/2005)

By PAT

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes