Dealing With Arthritis

Has anyone got any comfort ideas for arthritic joints? Avoiding morning stiffness? Exercises? Most days I feel like the tin man.

Thanks!
Elizabeth from Ossining, New York

Several suggestions, depending on which joints are affected.

Before going to bed, take a pain reliever. I use Aleve.

1. Before you get out of bed, extend legs, point and flex feet and rotate ankles in both directions. Do 10 times. Then bend kneees as close to chest as your body allows, then extend legs out straight. This helps knees/ankles. Do 10 times.

2. Sit on edge of bed,extend arms, and rotate shoulders 10 times in each direction.

3. Squeeze hands into tight fists, then spread open 10 times.

4. Take a hot shower.

These things help my shoulders, hands, knees, and ankles, the parts of my body that are stiff with osteoarthritis. There does not seem to be a way to avoid A.M. stiffness, but this routine lessens it, and helps me to move better.

I hope this will be helpful to you.

Take the combination of Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM in a daily pill or liquid. I've been taking it for several years now and no longer have arthritis symptoms in my hands and knees. BTW - I'm 67 years old.

You might try 8 oz of grape juice mixed with 1Tbsp of Certo daily for a month.

I was under doctors care (therapy) for some time and the one thing they did for me (I had neck /shoulder problems) was to wrap warm towels around my neck for 15 minutes while laying down and relaxing. Sit up straight in chair, look to the right side and count to 5, look to the left and count to 5. Then look straight down (keeping the shoulders straight back and still sitting straight up) count to 5 and then look straight up counting to 5. Now lay your head down as far as you can on your right shoulder and count to 5, and, last, do the same thing only this time on the left shoulder. While doing all these take deep breaths. Repeat all these several times. I have found that when starting to get headaches, I do these and sometimes this will get over the headache without taking anything. When I have waited too long and end up with a headache I have found taking 1 Midol will get rid of it in about 15 minutes. Also, when getting leg cramps, I also take Midol and this helps a lot. This may not help everyone but hope it does help

Old pioneer remedy...1 teaspoon honey,1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar mixed with a glass of warm water morning and evening.

My mother also added 8 raw almonds a day too. She never had arthritis. GG Vi

I started taking glucosamine/chondroitin tablets about 4 months ago. I noticed a significant difference in my morning stiffness. I can get up and walk now.. smiles.

well it is now getting warm but i use a heated mattress pad. what a wonderful difference that has made. i feel much better in the morning. i also use lidoderm patches. it is like novacain in a patch and i put it on the most painful spot. i also take vinegar tablets a few times per day. i find vinegar is like a cure all for me. i started taking ginger again today. i hadnt had any but ginger is a antiinflammitory. hot showers. i also took a class at the ymca in the swimming pool. because of work i cant take it right now but want to get there again. sandysheep1 @ yahoo . com no spaces.

go to a good rheumatologist...try Enbrel..i am not sure of the spelling..it is a miracle drug..it is an injection 2 times a week...you do not have to live with pain!

I have some kind of something going on and I often have very stiff, sore joints, worse in the morning and sometimes extreme joint pain. My doc has yet to be able to figure it out, but some things that have helped me get on with my day... before going to bed at night, I heat up my rice bag (with lavender & chamomile to encourage sleep) and go to sleep with it on my neck or hands or elbow...whatever is hurting. Sometimes I have two or three going...this often helps my morning pain. Also, try not to get chilled overnight...I always feel much worse when I am cold. First thing in the morning, I put the teapot on to boil water and start a cup of hot tea with raw honey and then throw the same heating pads in the microwave. Then I take a hot shower...just a quick one. Then the heating packs and hot tea are usually enough to take the edge off of the pain so that I can move around and the stiffening gets better the more I move around. I also take an Essential Fatty Acid supplement and am sure to get natural forms of EFAs as well (raw nuts, salmon, flax seeds) in my diet. The heat does wonders for relaxing my muscles and joints and long term, with the EFA supplementation, I've definitely noticed a difference!

Hello Elizabeth, my hubby has arthritis in his back and he was using the heating pad with the warmth. But he spoke with his doctor and they told him no heat to use cold instead and when he switched he felt so much better quicker. Even if you switch back and forth maybe this would help....hope you feel better.......take care, Ruth

my lower back and hips were hurting so bad. the pain goes down my butt cheeks and into my legs(upper thight). I went to a doctor who took X-rays but said there was still space between my joints. he said for my age(56) it was normal degeneration. he advised me to take 3 ibuprophen a day and thought that would help...but it hasn't. the pain is still with me 24/7. sometimes the painis so sharp i could literally fall to the ground. and i know i limp alot. i'm scared of cortosone shots...i've heard nothing but bad reactions from them. i read about Heal-N-Soothe. has anyone tried that? and does it work...or does anyone have other treatments.

Man with Arthritis in His Knee
Living with Arthritis
Health & Beauty AdviceMay 24, 2006
Cooking With Arthritis
Cooking With Arthritis
Opening Jars with Arthritic Hands
Opening Jars with Arthritic Hands
Old Dog
Treating Arthritis in Dogs
Arthritis Pain
Remedies for Arthritis Pain
🎄