Freezing Tortillas

Tips for freezing tortillas, post your ideas.

Best Answer

It really is not necessary to freeze tortillas...corn or flour. Leave them in original bag or repackage in a zip lock bag, and store on a cupboard shelf. They will keep and stay fresh indefinitely. No drying out, cracking, or crumbling either. I have used flour tortillas that have been stored for as long as a year in this manner. I use Mission Brand Tortillas.

Harlean from Arkansas

Anonymous

I stored some unopened...they went blue

Anonymous

That is not true. They will mold. And anything tortilla that would last that long sitting in the cupboard has chemicals in it that I would never want to eat.

Thank you, mission is the brand I buy and just bought a large quantity, Good to know!

In the cupboard? I don't think so! I've had them go moldy in the refrigerator, that's why people are asking about freezing them.

Umm no. They will dry out and lose their tenderness. Yuck

CORN ..not flour.....TORTILLAS MOLD QUICKLY.

what about honey? Which is still good even after it's been sitting in the tombs of pharaohs?

Uh, NO! They dry out, crack and crumble. So unless you enjoy disgusting tortillas, I would freeze! ... just sayn. After all it's your choice. ;)

Considering honey is the only food in the world not known to spoil, yes the honey can sit on a shelf for a year ROFL!

Best Answer

To freeze your left over tortillas just stack them with a sheet of waxed paper between each one and then put the stack into a Ziploc bag and store in the freezer for up to 2 months.

By Robin

I have had no problem with flour tortillas. I just put the bag of tortillas in a freezer bag since the bag you get at the store may have a hole in it. Then I put the toritillas in the fridge the day before I am going to use them. If they thaw out gradually they seem great. When I forget to thaw them gradually and have to thaw them out in the microwave they seem more likely to get stuck together. Warehouse stores have large amounts of tortillas for really cheap so I freeze them regularly. Never tried corn tortillas...

I freeze both corn and flour tortilla's. The corn ones come apart easier with microwaving than the flour. SOmetimes I just repackage them in smaller amounts so that I can just defrost the whole package. Otherwise, I microwave and them peel off the outer tortillas until I have enough, then pop the rest back in the freezer

You should not have problems freezing either flour or corn tortillas. Since I live far away from my favorite tortilla place, I buy lots when I get the chance. I get mine where they make them while you wait. They put a little piece of wax paper between the flour ones. Makes them come apart easier. Just don't crush them. (in your luggage). Paper or not, they will stick together or crumble.

Can tortillas be frozen? If so, how? Does it matter if they are corn or flour?

Nancy from Florida

I'm going to try it Harlean's way because it's much simpler, but before now, I just expelled as much air as possible from the bag they came in, rolled them up, then wrapped the bunch in aluminum foil and put them in the freezer. I've never had any problems with using them after they're thawed. Terry from ChilliOH

I've never had a problem with freezing them, but natural flour tortillas (homemade) do get moldy if you don't refrigerate them, YMMV. I live in a dry high desert climate and keep them in the frig to stay fresh. GL!

can i freeze my uncooked tortillas? i bought a 36 count pack from costco. the package says it should be cooked within 20 days. so, i want to put half in the freezer so i can extend it from going 'bad'. is it ok to freeze UNCOOKED tortillas?

I have a Seal A Meal. I just wanted to know if tortillas can be frozen. Since it is okay to freeze them I will use it to freeze them. After reading the feedback here. This appliance is suppose to freeze for longer then most ways of freezing. You can take all the air out of the package and seal. Thanks for the great info! Hey, I should become a part of their ad team. Ha Ha.

I enjoy yellow corn tortillas much more than flour or white corn tortillas. They have more of a flavour on their own and actually carry slightly less carbs and slightly more fibre. That being said, I have to disagree with the person who said tortillas keep "indefinitely" without refrigeration and caution anyone who follows that line of thinking. Unrefrigerated tortillas (like any bread) get moldy fairly quickly in my experience.

Haven't tried freezing them yet, but I certainly will now. We have made them a staple in our diet because (in my opinion) they taste better than bread, are almost always whole grain and have a lower carb count than bread. They are also amazingly versatile and convenient for quick snacking.

I to agree that storing tortilla's on a shelf line basis only for up to a year is in my opinion although never have done so myself is something that should not be done as mold does and will eventually set in. I would not recommend anyone to attempt storing tortilla's on a shelf outside of refrigeration for a year & then attempt to consume them. I have stored flour tortilla's in the fridge for as long as 3 months but never longer well 4 the simple fact that they get eaten kind of quick around here. Freeze them if you have to many or at least keep them refrigerated, mold can some times be hard to detect in its 1st stages and will make a person sick, very sick and may cause death.

El Milagros flour tortillas have a freshness expiration date. I say freeze them for prevention of mold and food borne illness as well as freshness