Freezing Tortillas Without Breakage

When I buy tortillas, I may not always use them right away, so I freeze them to keep them fresh and in one piece as the day I bought them.

I found that putting them in a baggie wasn't enough, as everything in the freezer gets pushed around a million times looking for things, and by the time I pull out a bag of torts, they'd have cracks in them, or, they'd have the ends broken off from all the other freezer foods smashing against them.

So, to fix all that, and keep them in perfect condition, I just make a little box out of cardboard, tape the one end, leaving the other end open, then put them into a freezer baggie, and then slide them into the box and then the freezer. I've also used "left over pizza boxes", which I've cut smaller, and those work real well too.

SO SMART! Okay, so this is the second time this month you've posted something that I'd just experienced right before reading you. Last night my husband found a bag of flour tortillas pushed to the back of the fridge, half frozen, half crumbled, and we had a long discussion about tortilla freezing and how he thought it was not possible. This is so great. I'm going to forward this to him right now! Ha! Thanks as always, Suz!

That cracks me up, because I know what you mean. I've had the same things happen with things that you've posted, it's like we're on the same wave length or something hehe :)

If you make the open ended box just about 2" deep, you can then fit a couple of packages of torts in them, like corn and flour. This is the only way to (well, not the only way, but the easy way) to keep the torts from getting T-Boned in the freezer, haha

I'm glad this can help :)

Haha! I love us! Thanks so much-- I've put away a bit of time to make my tortilla box! x

hehehehehe Me TOO Attosa! :)

Well look at you !! Brilliant ideal!!! I'm going to do this today. Excellent ideal !!!

Nice!!!!

Might be worth buying a small-ish pizza, just for the sturdy box! Or, cut a larger pizza box to size, and use leftover pieces (of cardboard) for reinforcement.

Anonymous

What a great idea!! your so right on how stuff gets pushed around when your looking for something in the freezer thanks for your smart tip!

I also put waxed paper between each tortilla. Sometimes they're not seperate by anything and get stuck togeather. I love the box idea! I'm using that one next time too!!! Renee

Food and Recipes Freezing AdviceJuly 18, 2018
🌻
👒
🐰
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Freezing-Tortillas-Without-Breakage.html