Good Luck Soup for the New Year!
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 Tbsp. bacon drippings or olive oil
- 8 cups low sodium chicken stock or water
- 2 cups sliced carrots (3 to 4 medium)
- 2 cups cubed cooked ham
- 1/4 tsp. ground cayenne pepper
- 2 (16 oz.) cans black-eyed peas, slightly drained (or about 3 cups cooked beans)*
- 1 to 2 cups spinach or other fresh greens, chopped
- 3 cups hot cooked rice
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a large soup pot, saute chopped onion in the bacon drippings or olive oil until tender. Add the chicken stock, carrots, ham, and cayenne pepper. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until carrots are tender. Stir in the black-eyed peas and spinach. Simmer for 10 minutes and add the rice. Season with salt and pepper.
Source: My Mom fixed this every New Year's Day until she passed.
By Jodi from Aurora, CO
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!
In This Article
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on November 29, 2016 at 4:25:10 PM on 10.0.0.118 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us