Bubbles When Sealing Countertops

I have read all of the post on painting countertops over the past few weeks and thank you for all the wonderful advice and pictures. I got the courage and started on mine a few days ago I sanded, primed, painted with Rustoleum granite spray and coated with famowood glaze coat.

The problem I have is there are a few bumps that are about the size of a pin hole that I would like to get out, I have read that I can wet sand and apply a second coat of glaze. My question is do I need to wait the 72 hours till it is cured to sand and apply another coat?

Also, do I need to sand and 2nd coat all of the counters or only the spaces where the small bumps are? Thanks in advance.

By Ricki from MS

Ricki, whatever you do, DO NOT only cover the problem areas with the glaze coat! Not sure if your bumps are due to bubbles or the texture of the spray paint, but for bubbles you need to sand the tops off. You will then have to pour another full thick coat, and be sure to use a torch. My husband had to torch ours for a full 1/2 hour. I had horrible bubbles with my first pour. With second pour, due to the torching, we now have a beautiful, smooth as glass finish. If your bumps are due to the texture, I still would sand with 600 grit to ensure your second coat is smooth.

November 11, 2009 Flag

I put down the epoxy yesterday on my painted laminate countertops. It looks great, but I do see some bubbles. I am sanding them down, but the question is, how far do I sand? Do I need to completely eliminate the bubble, or can I just sand off the top and fill with the next coat?

By no-no-nancy from Brunswick, ME

Bubbles When Sealing Countertops

Yes, you need to completely get rid off the bubbles, and then when you put epoxy on, use a small torch to eliminate the bubbles from wet surface. (07/14/2009)

By Natasha79

June 18, 2009 Flag

I am sealing the countertops but there are lots of bubbles and it is dry already. How can I fix it?

Brenda from Hillsborough, NJ

Bubbles When Sealing Countertops

The bubbles are air. You will have to sand the countertop until all the bubbles are gone and reapply the sealer. This time make sure no bubbles before the sealer dries. (03/13/2009)

By foxrun41

Bubbles When Sealing Countertops

I'm not sure what you've already done to your counter tops, but if you have to sand them down, you might benefit from Rust-o-leum counter top paint. Light sanding is all that is required to use this product and no sealer is needed. I just did mine a couple of months ago, they look great and are very durable. It can be purchased at Menards or Lowe's for $20 and a little goes a long way.

Good Luck (03/14/2009)

By boxergirl76

Home and Garden Home Improvement AdviceNovember 11, 2009
Fixing Wallpaper Bubbles
Fixing Wallpaper Bubbles
Sealing a Painted Deck
Sealing a Painted Deck
Chipped Paint on Old Chair
Sealing Chipped Paint on Old Wood
Man repairing kitchen countertops.
Repairing Bubbles in Formica Countertop