Dishwasher Not Releasing Soap

It is really frustrating to open the dishwasher only to discover that the soap dispenser did not open during the wash cycle. This is a guide about dishwasher not releasing soap.

Dishwasher with an open door.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

July 18, 2010 Flag

The house we just bought has a small GE stainless steel dishwasher and it will not dissolve the soap. After running the cycle, even twice, the soap is stuck (not dissolved) in the holder. I just want to save water by washing the glasses in the dishwasher. Please help.

Java :)

By Java from Newport. MI

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Try adding vinegar to your detergent, also I notice that when I used cheap dishwasher detergent this happen. But adding vinegar to it the dishes comes out sparkling.

Also, that powder detergent will get old and it will not dissole properly, but add vinegar to it and you will not have any problem.

Best Answer

Check to see what your water heater's setting is, we turned ours up so our DW would dissolve the soap. Good luck.

Best Answer

Make sure you are not loading the dishwasher in a way that is blocking the soap dispenser. I used to have this problem when we put plates in the area that was in front of the dispenser, until I realized it wasn't getting a direct hit from the spinning water sprayer deal (also make sure that's not blocked). I moved my silverware basket to the area in front of the dispenser and make sure that only short stuff goes in the compartment closest to the door and haven't had a problem since.

thanks works great now

Read More Answers...

February 18, 2010 Flag

I have a 9 year old Whirlpool dishwasher that is not opening up the dispenser to release the liquid detergent to wash the dishes. I have tried using alcohol to clean the springs, because I thought it might be just build up on the little door. The door opens and closes when we pop it ourselves, but just doesn't open automatically when it is supposed to in order to dispense to wash our dishes. It's frustrating. Help.

By ScrpBkBon from Cincinnati, OH

Best Answer

Fill your soap dispenser with either powdered Tang or powdered lemonade and run empty of dishes.

I did this twice and it cleared up the problem. The ascorbic acid cleaned up the problem.

Best Answer

We had the same problem with our 2 year old dishwasher. Too new to replace and not worth a repair bill. Now we just fill the cup as usual, but we don't close the door to the cup. We just wait to fill it until we are ready to run the dishwasher and then close the dishwasher door and start it. It has worked great so far...nice clean dishes every time.

It sounds as if the mechanism on the detergent cup is worn out. You should consider buying yourself a new dishwasher. The 10 to 11 year old dishwasher in our apartment unit was replaced with a new one. It always stopped working on weekends whenever management and the maintenance staff were off. It always broke down when it was loaded with dishes.

Could also brush area around little door pivot area with old toothbrush and warm water. Maybe it's just caked.

February 14, 2015 Flag

My Airstone LKF6 dishwasher's soap dispenser not working during cycle.

By Sona

You can find several answers right on Thrifty Fun-use this search on the site: Dishwasher Not Releasing Soap

September 10, 2013 Flag

What would cause an automatic dishwasher dispenser not to eject the soap when cleaning the dishes? I can tell because I have not had to refill it in quite a while.

By Arlene

Do you have hard or soft water? It sounds as though you've been using too much detergent for the type water you have coming into your home and as a consequence dishwashing detergent is probably caked behind the dispenser.

If you can see caked detergent in the dispenser cup, scrape as much of it as you can out of that cup and discard it - it isn't effective soap anymore, trust me. The only thing cleaning your dishes right now is the hot water, not the soap.

After you get all of the caked soap out that you can see, run your dishwasher empty (no soap, no dishes) at least twice at the hottest setting. Add a full cup of white distilled vinegar (put the vinegar in both dispensers if you have one for something like JetDry) each time to boost the cleaning of the hot water.

Do this at least once a month for the rest of the time you have a dishwasher. Also, to prevent future build-up, go easier on the detergent. Use half of what the package or the directions for the machine suggest.

If you continue to 'not need detergent', you have a more serious problem and should call in a repair tech.

Home and Garden Repair Appliances DishwasherSeptember 22, 2013
Hand washing shower wall
Removing Soap Scum from Shower Doors
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 24, 2016 at 11:38:03 AM on 10.0.2.7 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.