Using Frozen Zucchini

Freezing zucchini will make it more watery on thawing. This doesn't necessary cause a problem when adding it to a recipe. This is a guide about using frozen zucchini.

Zucchini
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 21, 2010 Flag

I followed the directions on this site to steam-blanch my grated zucchini for freezing. Now it appears that I have about half the amount of fresh grated zucchini I started with.

Will this affect the amount of zucchini I use in my recipes? For example, if it calls for 1 cup should I consider the steam-blanched zucchini as 2 cups since it seems to have shrunk in size?

By Mary from Meridian, ID

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

1 cup will equal 1 cup in any cooking or baking recipe. Recipes are based on current volume.

Mary

Yes it is the same all you have to do is squeeze out the water and your good to go!

Aziriel

December 10, 2012 Flag

I used frozen zucchini the other day and drained the liquid and my bread did not turn out the same as if it was fresh. It's dry inside and the outside doesn't even have the same look as when it does with the fresh. Did I maybe drain to much of the liquid off?

By C. L.

I grate zucchini to freeze for later use in breads/cakes etc. I always add the liquid from the package. If the liquid is figured into the original recipe, it should be used even if the liquid has separated from the squash. My recipes turn out perfectly with the added liquid.

August 12, 2012 Flag

My refrigerator accidently froze my zucchini. Now what?

By DB

With the price of food, I'd still use them. Since they'l be somewhat mushy when defrosted, puree them and put in a casserole, soup, smoothie, roast (gravy), spaghetti sauce, or where ever you can hide them. If you have too many for a meal, keep some frozen for the next meal.

April 16, 2012 Flag

Last year I grew a ton of squash and zucchini. I decided to freeze a good amount of it. I cut it into slices and put in vacuum sealed bags. However, when I attempted to use the veggies, they were mushy. Why?

By Kim C

They got mushy because of their high water content. I freeze shredded zucchini and sliced yellow squash, and use them in recipes. You must thaw and drain them first. The texture will not be the same, but for zucchini bread or a squash casserole, they are still fine (and tasty!).

Food and Recipes Food Tips VegetablesJuly 10, 2013
Zucchini Bread
Freezing Zucchini Bread
Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Chocolate Zucchini Cake Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Bread Recipes
Zucchini Salad Recipes
Zucchini Salad Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 5:43:06 PM on 10.0.2.102 in 951 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.