How Do I Remove Urine Smell From My Bathroom?

How do you get urine smell out of a clean bathroom?

By Michele from Lincoln Park, MI

On this site, someone recommended using Suave Green Apple shampoo on the tiles around the commonde to get rid of the urine smell. Never tried it, but bought a bottle anyway. You likely have urine in the tie grout. Try the soap; I may be wrong, but I've heard that sometimes bleach can 'set' a stain or smell.

Once you get rid of the smell, and you will! Seal the grout and do it twice a year after that to avoid more spillage. I do have luck with Spic N Span. But I have rough slate, not tile, however it is still grouted. I spray it on, let it set and wipe it off. I also live by, swear by, disinfectant cloths. My husband has bad aim too. I use the cloths daily for his 'mishaps'. Makes me crazy, but I do it every day. Get a plumber in and see if all of your toilet seals are intact or need replacing.

Good luck. I had the same problem in a condo I rented once, but never could figure out what was happening. But that was before Thrifty fun.

Walmart sells a product in the baby section, I don't remember the name, but it is called "Toddler_____" and has a pink label with stick figures on it, they also sell this in the pet section "Pet_________". It works great on mattresses, carpets, etc.

The suave apple shampoo idea definitely works and it smells good in there. Use an old wet sponge and put a tablespoon of shampoo on it, then go to work around the basin of the stool on the floor, helped out a lot here. boys sometimes miss and leak, lol.

Sometimes when you really know that your bathroom is clean, its the wax ring that seals the bottom of the toilet. Your toilet may not leak and the seal could still have a crack in it.

I use the product for pet urine removal from the pet store. Be sure to check under the rim in your toilet bowl. Then check under the base of the toilet. Squirt some of the pet solution under there. Urine gets trapped there. It takes a couple days to dry and for the smell to go away. You can soak up some of the solution with paper towels as it dissolves whatever is under the toilet. Then add some more and leave it to dry slowly.

If you have men or little boys, they miss the toilet, it runs down the side to the floor and under the toilet where washing can't be reached.

I used to take paper towels and tuck with a knife all around the floor/toilet and then sop it with distilled vinegar. Let it soak. If the pee had gone to the wood floor boards, this will also get to it.

As listed below, check the wax ring and replace. That is cheap $5 price, and then you can use a silicone seal around the bottom of the toilet on the floor. Don't do a huge amount, just a little beading. Make sure it is for the toilet so that removal in the future will not be a pain.

Cleaning a bathroom sometimes means removing urine odor from tile and grout. To do this in an efficient manner means getting to the root of the problem. The newest technology for cleaning bathroom tiles uses peroxide and detergents to penetrate the soiled area and deactivate the odor. Simply spray a product like PAWS - Pet Accident Washup Solution on the area, allow to sit for 10 minutes and then wipe clean. Baking soda will also neutralize the smell of urine from in between your bathroom tiles.

Make a paste of baking soda and water and clean with a toothbrush. Let site for about 30 minutes and wipe with a damp sponge. If the odor persists, repeat until the odor is gone.

May 23, 2011 Flag

I have a dreadful urine stench from one of my toilets. The bathroom smells like a men's public toilet. It is cleaned frequently. What can I do?

Thanks

By maeref

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you have tried cleaning, the most likely problem is the wax seal under the toilet, they can develop gaps, and allow liquid to seep down under and into the flooring. The ehow site rec. by MCW should help you with replacing that.

Best of luck to you!

Is someone missing the toilet and dribbling on the floor? If so the urine is going under the toilet and causing the smell. If not then you may need to have the wax ujnder the toilet replaced but I suggest you get a plumber to do it. These things last for years and years if they are done right so your best bet is to hire it done.

After many years cleaning houses I found that many people do not clean under the rim of their bowls very well. Get some rubber gloves and a scrubby and give that a try. It can get really built up under there. Also some folks (you know who you are) miss the toilet completely and there can be a buildup under the base of the toilet where you cannot reach it. Try squirting some Natures Miracle (for pet accidents) under there and wait a few days. Often the odor will be completely gone.

I poured Pinesol on the floor all the way around the toilet and let it set. I wiped it up about 3 hours later. The bathroom smelled like Pinesol for the rest of the day, but the next day it was odor free.

The odor may be coming from under your flooring? Little boys (and sometimes Big ones) sometimes miss the target. :) New flooring and sub floor may be in order if this is the real problem.

Soak the whole area with vinegar and let it stand for awhile, then dry it up.

June 17, 2010 Flag

How do I remove urine smell from my bathroom? Two boys and a husband, somebody must be missing the target. I can't tell if it's in/on the floor, outside of toilet, shower curtain, tub, wall. I use typical cleaners and it doesn't completely go away. Thanks!

Joy from San Antonio, TX

Answers:

How do I remove urine smell from my bathroom?

Joy, I know what you mean about the smell and I am interested in what other people suggest to get rid of it. I know that the first thing I did was to get rid of the little contour rug that I had around the toilet. Not so pretty when it acts like a big sponge, soaks up urine, and smells all the time. Also, my husband is over six feet tall, and apparently from his height when he makes contact with the toilet it spatters all over the wall.

When I clean the bathroom I wash that wall with Lysol. One thing I would suggest to anyone would be to run a bead of silicone caulk completely around the bottom of the toilet where it meets the floor; that way, it will stop any urine from getting under there and smelling up the bathroom. I hope you get some suggestions from others about removing the smell, I sure would appreciate hearing some of them. (10/09/2006)

By Persnickety Paula

Joy, I feel for you. I took away the rug in front of the toilet, along with the seat cover so the toilet is bare. Once something gets urine on it, it's there until washed out which just makes more work. Plus it's easier to clean when it's bare.

I don't have too much luck with this next hint, but I try to remind the guys to wipe the rim before they flush the toilet. I've recently decided though, that I'm just going to rotate bathroom uses so I can wipe the rim and know it's happening.

My last suggestion, is to buy some lemon or orange pine-sol, put some on a paper towel and throw it in the garbage can (don't crumple it up, leave it open for full effect). The scent lasts quite a while. I suppose you could always do this with something decorative in the bathroom, like an object designed for potpourri with holes in the top. The paper towel, or sponge, could be hidden inside yet the holes let the scent escape.

Good luck! If all else fails, make them sit down or give them their own portable one like in the hospital! Just kidding, but worth a thought! (10/10/2006)

By Kim

Whatever is on the floor, it sounds like the urine has gone underneath. For example; tiles? or carpet? The answer might be to rip everything up and start again. (10/10/2006)

Well, it is from the guys. You get splash back on to the walls, toilet, and any heating system that would run along the wall by the toilet. A solution of 4 parts water, and 1 or 2 parts bleach, and the entire area around the toilet should be cleaned. It will have to be done every once in a while, and the guys should do the cleaning as they are the cause. (10/10/2006)

By Dean

Here are two good solutions:

1 tsp. baking soda, 1 tsp. Dawn dish detergent, and 16oz. of peroxide. Mix together and pour on area. Let air dry.

Another good one is 3-4 drops of Dawn. 1/2 cup peroxide and 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Mix together. Pour and let solution set on affected area 10-15 minutes. Then soak it up with paper towels. Hope these help. (10/10/2006)

By Janette

If you have boys in the house, well, they "leak" on the floor, but assuming you have checked for everything else, like urine under a mat at the foot of the toilet, urine on the walls, etc., I suggest removing your toilet and changing the wax seal. I recently did this when I laid ceramic tile in my bathroom, and I was surprised how yucky it was up under there.... ewww!

I'm sure you can find an internet site to explain it but it's really not as difficult as you may think. You pretty much just unscrew the bolts at the base and pull the toilet up and off. Clean up under there and scrape out the old wax seal and other unmentionable gunk and replace the old wax seal with a new one. Get one with the built-in flange, and go ahead and replace your bolts if they're old because they get built up a bit with urine and such too. Re-seat the toilet, tighten the screws and you're all done!

I highly recommend that you DO NOT caulk around your tub for this very reason. If you have to remove your toilet it will make it very difficult. (10/10/2006)

By mef1957

Try a product called Odoban. We have dogs and we use it to clean up after them, clean their kennels, etc. It is non-toxic. (10/11/2006)

By Candy

Hopefully you do not have carpet in your bathroom. I use peroxide in a spray bottle and spray around the bottom of the toilet where it meets the floor. There is a possibility that you have a small leak and the wood is getting soaked. Push around on the floor close to the base of the stool and see if there are any soft spots. You might try cleaning with lemon kool-aid (diluted, without sugar), it is citric acid and flavor/smell. The acid would counteract the urine. That is one of the things I use for pet accidents. (10/11/2006)

By carla bledsoe

I found out that you have to clean the bolts that hold the seat and lid on. Boys with bad aim get the back rim of the toilet and the pee gets down onto the bolts. Just put some bathroom cleaner onto your rag and wipe the bolts from underneath until the gunk is gone. (04/16/2007)

By trista

Joy, I have two small boys and know all too well the joys of boys and missing the toilet. If you want to solve the problem, all you have to do is very simple.

Clean the floor and surrounding area with a good cleanser. Use toothpaste to whiten the tile surrounding the toilet rim on the floor and then sprinkle baking soda around the toilet base. Wipe the soda so it is close to the base and leave it there for two to three days. The soda will draw up the urine from under the toilet as well as pull any scent left in the floor. All you have to do then is wipe up the soda using a damp cloth after three days and voila. Repeat this as needed, but I found that after you do it the smell does not return for awhile. (10/10/2007)

By Andrea

I can't talk to my husband about this. He gets frustrated and mad. I know the urine is under the toilet where I can't reach it. The best idea sounds like baking soda all around the toilet base. Then clean with vinegar for a chemical reaction that should "eat" away the smell. I've used this in sink drains and it worked there. Worth a try! (12/26/2008)

By frustrated

One question I have for you is do you have a ring of caulking around the toilet? If you do, and you have a tile or laminate floor that urine can't get underneath the toilet, then it has to be on the wall or behind the bolts under the back of toilet. Hope this helps. I would use a diluted bleach to kill odor all around also. (01/11/2009)

By bruce

I had the same problem after moving into a previously owned home. I'm not sure what the owners did to mask the smell when we visited because I didn't notice it either time we looked at the house but it was present as we were moving in.

I scrubbed and scrubbed, not just the toilet inside and out, but the floor, the walls, the cabinets (inside and out) and even the picture frame above the toilet, which the previous owners had left and liked! I sprayed Lysol, air fresheners, burned candles, used bleach, oxi-clean, etc. It would seem to go away for a few hours, then come back.

Finally, as suggested on another site, I bought an enzymatic pet urine odor neutralizer. I got it at PetSmart and it was called Nature's something, but I think any enzymatic one will do.

I didn't really expect it to work, but it was the only thing I'd read about short of painting the walls and replacing the floor. I figured I'd try it, and when it didn't work, I'd pay to have the work done.

I went crazy spraying the stuff, just as I did cleaning, spraying everywhere. It has now been 4 1/2 weeks and no smell. Previously, it was back within 4 1/2 hours if it went away at all. I haven't even used the spray again. I just do my normal cleaning routine. I hope this works for others. (02/19/2010)

By Lindij

A clean bathroom.
Removing Urine Odors from a Bathroom
Home and Garden Cleaning BathroomJune 17, 2010
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet, Plumber Replacing Bathroom Faucet
Replacing a Bathroom Faucet
Cleaning Toilet
Removing Urine Odor from a Bathroom
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
🎉
🎄