Rag Knots Chewing Toy

I started making these for the local humane society to sell at fundraisers as well as at the local vet clinics. The vets found this to be a perfect toy. It is stitched, so it is safe. My own dog steals them from the sewing machine.

Approximate Time: At first I would suggest 30 to 45 minutes, I made a lot at one time.

• 3 adult large washed T-shirts
  • sewing machine
  • scissors

Instructions:

1. Take 1 large adult t-shirt, the more colors the better, but no grease or paint stains. Cut off at the armpits, use the bottom of the shirt. Without cutting the seams, cut 9 strips across.
  2. Snip the seam now. If you do a couple of these at the same time, you can mix and match the colors.
  3. Take 3 strips of choice by color, pin at the top so that you have 3 sets of these, run a double stitch across the end.
  4. Tie a tight knot at the top, then start braiding it to the end.
  5. Double stitch the end on all sets.
  6. Take the 3 braided sets and find center of all, stitch them, then start to braid together.
  7. Knot the ends again, and then knot in the center. It is bulky, but this is what the dog wants. With the human scent all over it, the dog will find it is favorite family toy.

I sell these for $4.00

By Joyce from Benson, MN

I made one last night in less than 30 minutes. I have 2 small Rat Terriers so I decided to use a women's medium t-shirt. My strips were about 1 1/2 inches wide. Completed toy is about 16 inches long. You were right...the dogs do love it!! I can already tell this will outlive the storebought tug of war toys/chews. Thanks for the great idea.

Very clever--thanks!

Thank you for this great idea.

Liz

Great idea for local shelters.

Great idea and helps use up those t-shirts we always seem to have so many of! Our local APL will love these!

I can really understand. Triple the money spending! My Mother, Brother and I spend so much money buying dog toys, not only toys, treats or dog food. I bought $2 bag of peanut butter popcorn made for dogs and they didn't like it. I bought certain dog bones and they didn't like it. Bought a huge bone, was like the size of a cow thigh bone, and they were $10 each. There went my $20.

Found the bones in the yard all muddy, and covered with whatever else... (Uknow! lol. )

Old denim jeans work really well for making dog toys!

Dog Pulling on Rope and Tennis Ball Toy
Homemade Dog Toys
Pets Dogs Dog ToysJanuary 5, 2009
Squirrel Chewing
Squirrels Chewing on Car Wiring
Making a Mini Rag Wreath
Making a Mini Rag Wreath
A couch chewed on by a dog.
Keeping Dogs from Chewing on Furniture
unwrapped gum on top of several foil wrapped pieces
Uses for Chewing Gum
🎄