Chandelier Makeover

contest winner icon

We just moved into our house that we have been renting out for several years and I noticed a few things are outdated. I hated the 70's era chandelier over the dining room table because of the smoked glass. I thought of replacing it with clear, textured stained glass to get more light. I was told what I wanted would cost about $400. For this much, I could replace most of the fixtures in the whole house! We do not have the budget right now to do this.

As we were replacing broken acrylic panels over the florescent lights in the basement, I got an idea. I bought a 2 x 2 foot acrylic panel and cut it with a utility knife to the size of the smoked glass pieces. I drilled a hole in each and hung them. You can see how much more light there is because the background of the picture got so much darker. It sparkles like diamonds now, too.

Total cost: $3.97!

By lhegs from Green Bay, WI

Excellent frugal makeover! :-)

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

Love it. That was smart thinking on your part!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

What a smart way to improve upon the old chandelier! You must be very "crafty" in other areas too.

Thanks for sharing with us!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

How smart you are, and what a nice difference your ingenuity made.

Thanks for sharing your great idea. I'm betting others will make good use of it.

Pookarina

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

Fabulous! I am so very impressed and it looks great! It no longer looks dated. Now it is very chic! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

That is great! You have my vote!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

What a great idea! Makes me want to try to do something to my "80's" chandeliers.

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

Your chandelier is identical to ours hanging in the foyer of our 70's era split level house! I love your fix and we're going to try it this weekend! Thank you!

ReplyLike this photo?Like? Yes

Revamping a  Chandelier
Revamping Chandeliers
Home and Garden Home Improvement Lighting and ElectricFebruary 3, 2011
Girls at 'Makeover' Themed Birthday Party
'Makeover' Themed Birthday Party Ideas
Thrifty Kitchen Makeover Ideas
Thrifty Kitchen Makeover Ideas
plain black plastic flower pot
Decoupaging a Plastic Flower Pot
Bookshelf
Bookshelf Makeover
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 22, 2017 at 9:40:55 AM on 10.0.0.173 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.