Revamping Chandeliers

Category Home Decor
Revamping a  Chandelier
Whether refurbishing your present chandelier or changing another, it can be fun to improve your lighting. This is a guide about revamping chandeliers.

I made this candle chandelier from an generic looking gold light fixture that I bought on craigslist for five dollars. I cut the electrical wiring out of the top and just left the chain. Then I painted the chandelier a dark brown with a can of Rustoleum spray paint.

I got sheet moss at the Hobby Lobby for $5 for a huge bag. I hot glued the moss into the "candle holders" (sockets) and on the top and some of the other curvy areas of the chandelier. My husband had some Velcro tabs, so I used those to attach the pink roses. I figured that with the Velcro, I could switch out the flowers seasonally, or when they start to look faded.

I had some old crystals in a drawer in the dining room, so I attached those to the bottom of the chandelier. Finally, I wrapped floral tape around the bottoms of 5 tapers so that they would fit into the light sockets.

I'm thrilled with how it turned out. I spent $15 to create a light fixture that looks like it cost much more!

By RebeccaVC from Appleton, WI

I saw this chandelier at a yardsale for $5 so I bought it thinking this would be great for my dining area if it were distressed to match my dining room table.

Total Time: 4-5 days

Yield: 1

• yard sale/thriftstore chandelier - pretest before buying to make it works
  • small paintbrush for detail
  • large brush for bigger area
  • small foam rubber paint brush
  • masking or painter's tape, optional
  • 1 can of white spray paint (primer) for base paint color
  • 1 can of Krylon Colormaster Modern White spray paint (color is a warm vanilla white)
  • 2 bottles Folk Art cafe au lait (light brown) paint
  • 6 sleeves candle drip style
  • 2 squares of fine grit sand paper
  • Minwax finishing wax, color - natural (for furniture, trim and paneling)
  • 6 candle flame style light bulbs

1. First I bought the chandelier at a yard sale.
  2. Then I ordered six new sleeves with candle drip appearance off of eBay so I would have these before the chandelier was finished.
  3. Now I began redoing the chandelier.
  4. Clean the fixture before painting. Mine was black so after cleaning it up, I used masking tape to cover up the electrical parts.
  5. I then spray painted it all white (any brand of white matte spray paint for wood/metal/plastic will do). This included spraying the base and chain.
  6. Ad

7. Allow to dry for 24 hours. This is more than enough time, but I want all spray painted areas to be completely dry before moving onto next step.
  8. I used the paint brushes to paint and completely cover the chandelier with folk paint (this is the color you want to show through) with the color cafe au lait/light brown as this would give a wood like appearance underneath.
  9. Again, I let it dry 24 hours.
  10. Ad

11. Next I applied the next coat by completely spraying it with Krylon ColorMaster Modern White Matte paint. This color is amazing as it is warm vanilla white appearance.
  12. Again, I let it dry 24 hours.
  13. Now comes the sanding with fine grit sandpaper. I lightly sanded the detail areas of the chandelier so the coffee color paint comes through. A light touch is needed as you only want to try and go through the top layer of spray paint (vanilla white shade) down to the brown layer).
  14. To protect the spray painted areas, the last step was to use Minwax finishing wax in the natural color. Apply lightly with a small foam brush.
  15. After this step it took about a day and a half to fully dry.
  16. Once dry, take off the masking tape, and slide on the sleeves and put in the light bulbs.
  17. The last step takes 2 people and that is lifting the chandelier to where it is to be installed, positioning it and attaching the electrical wiring.

This looks very pretty, but even better if you use a dimmer switch on the wall switch, that way you can still use some candles on your dinner table too if you like.

I wanted a crystal chandelier for my dining room. I searched for something affordable. Not! So I decided to make my own.

I found an old rusty candle light fixture at a junk shop. Cleaned it up, and painted it with "gold" rust stopping paint. Then sprayed lightly with a flat black to make it look old! I ordered four 9 foot sections of clear plastic beads from a Christmas store. I decorated it with the beads and added candle shaped bulbs. It is beautiful and everyone remarks about it when they come to my house.

By Pam from Wendell, NC

Do you have old chandelier light covers that give you a headache when you look at them? With a little paint and ribbon, you can have brand new covers!

Red decorated shades.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

I like the look of the big drum shades used as chandeliers over a dining table, but don't have much money and actually haven't seen any in stores. Couldn't a regular table lamp drum shade be modified to hang as a pendant/chandelier?

Cindya

Just an idea - but you could sew decorative chain to the shade in three strands and use that to hold it up. That's more or less how a friend hung up an antique milk shade I got as a present. You can buy the chain at the hardware store.

They are pretty much the same thing, you might want to add a diffuser (some non-clear plastic) to the bottom of it though.

lighting-bible

http://lighting-bible.com/

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

We just moved into our house that we have been renting out for several years and I noticed a few things are outdated. I hated the 70's era chandelier over the dining room table because of the smoked glass. I thought of replacing it with clear, textured stained glass to get more light. I was told what I wanted would cost about $400. For this much, I could replace most of the fixtures in the whole house! We do not have the budget right now to do this.

As we were replacing broken acrylic panels over the florescent lights in the basement, I got an idea. I bought a 2 x 2 foot acrylic panel and cut it with a utility knife to the size of the smoked glass pieces. I drilled a hole in each and hung them. You can see how much more light there is because the background of the picture got so much darker. It sparkles like diamonds now, too.

Total cost: $3.97!

By lhegs from Green Bay, WI

Comment Like this photo? 33