Personalized Glass Baking Pans

Never lose a pan at a pot luck dinner again. This was a big hit among friends and family last Christmas. I gave everyone 9x13 inch baking pans that had their name etched into the bottom of the pan.

First, find a font on the computer that you like. Print it out almost as large as the full bottom of the glass pan. Thicker letters look great. When you print it, print it backwards, like you would for an iron-on transfer. Take a piece of contact paper, smooth it on to the outside bottom of the pan, tape the font paper over the contact paper. Use an X-acto knife to cut out the letters of the font. Make sure you press hard enough to cut through the paper and the contact paper under it. Then, pick out the contact paper letters. You will be left with a perfect stencil on the bottom of your pan. Remove the extra paper. Use glass etching acid (available for under $5 at any hobby store). Paint it on, let it sit for 4 minutes, and wash it off.

I etched over 50 pans last Christmas with total cost of each gift of less than $8.00. Pyrex does not etch well. Look for glass pans that do not have a lot of trademarks or writing on the bottom. Anchor-Hocking sells a 9x13 inch at Walmart for under $6.50. It etches beautifully. The Anchor-Hocking set of 3 pans has too much writing on the bottom to etch well.

Source: My friend Jennifer was playing with glass etching acid. She came up with the idea to do pans

By Amateur Parent from Plano, TX

I don't understand the need to print out the name backwards. Could you please clarify? Thanks!

What a great idea! I bought a small glass etching knife & I will try this. Thanks.

If you print/etch the name backward, you will see the name the "right" way when you look through the front of the pan. I'd think it would be up to you which way you prefer it.

This came at a great time. I'm traveling to visit my hard-to-buy-for SIL next week and will make this and take it along for either a hostess gift or a Christmas present.

This is a TERRIFIC idea...especially for those really "hard to buy for" people on your gift list! Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

God Bless,

Sheila in Cocoa, FL

WOW great idea. This would make one wonderful wedding gift. Sometimes wedding gifts can get so costly and you are left to wonder if they really liked it. I gifted a glass pitcher with the couple's name etched (at no small price) which was a hit.

However this is what I will be gifting. Plus I myself will make some for me. Fun and useful. I love it.

What a brilliant idea--thanks for sharing!

Thank you thank you thank you. I wish I had the smarts to come up with these GREAT things

Made 3 last night for my daughter's Christmas. I have given two already as gifts. Every one wants to know where to get them. I'm not telling yet. I'm having to much fun making and giving them. Again thank you so much for your post.

The name goes on backwards on the bottom of the pan so that when name is etched, you can see name properly through the front of the pan. No losing it now Just the same as ambulance is written backwards on the front of the car so that when you look in your rear view mirror you see ambulance the right way

This is Awesome... I was just thinking about this a few days ago. I can see this design idea in my head. Do any of you remember doing the art project where you ended up with "reflection" of the name done in cursive?

Thanks I needed a fabulous secret santa gift!

etched tall water
Glass Etching Craft Projects
Crafts Glass ArtSeptember 11, 2008
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Nice bathroom with a glass shower door.
Adding Etching to a Glass Shower Door
Glass Bottle
Etching a Glass Bottle
🎄