New England Clam Chowder

My dad would take me clamming, and when we had a good haul he would make a big pot of clam chowder the next day. When I make it now it is like he is in my kitchen waiting to see if I am enjoying his chowder and planning our next trip to the ocean.

• 1/4 lb. salt pork, diced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 medium potatoes, cubed
  • 3 cups water
  • 2 cups milk
  • Ad
  • 1/2 cup light cream
  • 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1/2 stick butter
  • 2 dozen shucked hard-shell clams, chopped with juices reserved or 2 (8 oz.) cans chopped clams

Directions:

In a large pan, fry the pork until almost crisp, remove and toss away (bacon can be replaced for the pork, crumble and add to chowder at end); Add onion and saute until lightly browned. Add potatoes and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in the chopped clams and their juices, milk, cream, thyme, salt, and pepper. Heat almost to the boiling point.

Servings: 4
Time:20 Minutes Preparation Time
30 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: My dad

By Myst from Muncie, IN

Hi Myst, This is how I feel when I cook something my Mother cooked for us over and over...like her famous hot biscuits, or Pineapple Upsidedown Cake. She'd cook country-fried steak after beating it with a heavy restaurant china saucer until it nearly came apart, then beat flour, salt and pepper into it as well. Fried in a combination of butter and olive oil, then with only a little of the drippings left in the pan, she'd make the best gravy...adding the cooked meat back to the pan. It was the best in the world served over mashed potatoes, with her hot biscuits and fresh-cooked green beans.

No one else could cook it the way she did, and they surely never made biscuits to equal hers, so when I try, she's right there beside me. I sometimes feel a tear on my cheek and wishing I could have just one more day with her...

Living in Florida, we ate a lot of fish, but never a lot of shellfish more than shrimp and my dad's favorite oysters. He loved oyster stew, and he also ate them raw. I'm going to make your clam chowder even if I have to use canned clams.

I love good clam chowder, and have on occasion made a "reasonable facsimile" using canned solid packed white

albacore tuna fish. It really doesn't turn out too badly especially if you use bottle clam juice which is available

in most good supermarkets.

Thank you for the lovely stroll down my own private memory lane. I'm so glad you have one too.

Pookarina

Clam Chowder Recipes, A spoonful of creamy New England Clam Chowder.
Clam Chowder Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups ChowderMarch 10, 2011
Seafood Chowder
Seafood Chowder Recipes
Vegetable Chowder
Vegetable Chowder Recipes
skillet of linguine and clams
Pasta with Clam Sauce Recipes
Crab Chowder
Crab Chowder Recipes
🎉
🎄